Cycling via household ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konnarock Kid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,
I am new to the forum and have a question or two.
First of all, let me set the particulars. A week ago, I started a new 55 gal aquarium. I put the usual chlorine removing, bacteria starting chemicals in and placed a few plants. From another 29 gal aquarium's filter, I took one of the filter medias and placed it in the new aquarium's filter in order to seed the 'bacteria colony'.
No fish...................yet.
Now, the questions. First, has anyone used household ammonia to help the cycling? If so, how much and how often?
Secondly, should I forget the ammonia and give the new aquarium as I have described it a few weeks to cycle itself and do nothing else but test the water?
Thanks.

If your not putting ammonia in or have fish in, the BB that's on the filter will die off without its food source. That's a great thing to do if you already have a couple fish or are putting ammonia in. If you choice ammonia, be sure it's pure ammonia with no soap additives. A way to tell is while in the store, shake the bottle and if there's a lot of bubbles/foam from shaking its not good to use. If you shake it and there's just a couple bubbles from the shaking then its good. I live in a small town of 9k and I had to get it from a local grocery store. My ace hardware and Walmart had soap in it...

Since you put seeded media in the filter you could also do a fish in cycle pretty easily. Depending on how much seeded media you used compared to how many fish you initially add your cycle could almost be completely done.

Since you put seeded media in the filter you could also do a fish in cycle pretty easily. Depending on how much seeded media you used compared to how many fish you initially add your cycle could almost be completely done.

Agree. I would put a couple fish in right away tho before you start loosing your BB :)

Thanks folks for the advise. I found some 'pure' ammonia at our local hardware store. I may have added a bit too much. It is at 5 ppm and I will lower it this morning (by replacing some of the water).
Thumper828, I made a copy of the article and am following it.
I wanted to go 'fishless', but am attempted to add a fish or two for continued ammonia, but i don't want to hurt them. Any suggestions as to what kind of fish?
When the tank is balanced, I want to devote it to mostly angel fish. I love them and about a hundred years ago, I had a breeding pair and sold their off spring to a local pet store. I must have been lucky as this was prior to water testing as it is now. If I remember correctly, then it was mostly testing for pH.

You can't add fish when using ammonia so now you need to continue the fishless cycle.

Thanks folks for the advise. I found some 'pure' ammonia at our local hardware store. I may have added a bit too much. It is at 5 ppm and I will lower it this morning (by replacing some of the water).
Thumper828, I made a copy of the article and am following it.
I wanted to go 'fishless', but am attempted to add a fish or two for continued ammonia, but i don't want to hurt them. Any suggestions as to what kind of fish?
When the tank is balanced, I want to devote it to mostly angel fish. I love them and about a hundred years ago, I had a breeding pair and sold their off spring to a local pet store. I must have been lucky as this was prior to water testing as it is now. If I remember correctly, then it was mostly testing for pH.

If is has media from and existing tank, it should be able to process/lower the 5 ppm ammonia in a day or two. I'd hold off on the water change and continue to monitor the parameters.

Oh, what she said (no fish yet).

Like they stated above, you have to choose between fish less or fish in cycling. DON'T combine the two. Since you have seeded media, the fish less won't take long anyway. So finish that up THEN add the fish :)

Back
Top Bottom