Cycling with Active Sponge - Our Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds like you're really close! The lack of nitrIte could just be a sign that your beneficial bacteria is ready to rock and roll!

If Ammonia drops back down in the next 24hrs, you're probably good to go. I would also check your tap water just to see if it has any ammonia or nitrite readings as a baseline.

Just my $0.02!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish

Thanks, girl! My tap water is 0.25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites. I tested it a while ago. It took forever to get there, but there is definitely trace ammonia in our tap. We'll see if it gets back down in the morning. I am so ready!! :banghead:

I'm thinking of adding two banana plants - one in each corner of the foreground. Does anybody know if these guys prefer root tabs or column ferts?

I'm having super gnarly luck with wisteria melting so I give up on it.

on topic note: I just double checked that I dosed to 2ppm and nitrites were showing up. Phew! I'm suspecting I am cycled or within a day or 2 of being so! Waiting on the verdict tomorrow for ammonia

I'm thinking of adding two banana plants - one in each corner of the foreground. Does anybody know if these guys prefer root tabs or column ferts?

I'm having super gnarly luck with wisteria melting so I give up on it.

on topic note: I just double checked that I dosed to 2ppm and nitrites were showing up. Phew! I'm suspecting I am cycled or within a day or 2 of being so! Waiting on the verdict tomorrow for ammonia

Great thing about banana plants? They're hardy! I just tie 'em to a piece of driftwood or decor and let them grow. No ferts were needed in my experience ?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Just gotta find 'em!! ugh. I haven't found them locally yet. I picked up Lobelia Cardinalis today and expect to fail miserably considering I only have gravel substrate. But I'll give it a go. I got some root-tabs

Found banana plants at a LFS :) I'll pick them up Wednesday.

Just retested...Ammonia less than 0.25 but not quite 0 :banghead:; Nitrite 1.0; Nitrate 80. I'm not going to dose ammonia today, I'll wait until tomorrow to let the nitrites get closer to 0. I'll get there eventually, I'm guessing this week!

I have done some soul searching and want to change the tank from gravel to ecoComplete. After trying to plant the Cardinal Plant in gravel, I've decided I need to upgrade.

I made a thread for it over in planted tanks here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...d-5-5g-from-gravel-to-ecocomplete-331130.html

I can't stop messing with this tank!

OK. Moment of truth...It took 48 hours for my ammonia and nitrite to go to 0. I'm dosing to 2ppm tonight and hoping for a happy dance tomorrow night. This is the best it has done since we started and we've never made it to both 0 before.

Wish us luck :)

Womp womp. My ammonia dropped to less than 0.25, but not quite 0. And my nitrite was at 1.0 and Nitrates were well over 80. I want to say something has stalled my cycle, but honestly I think I'm the one stalling the cycle. lol. I can't leave the tank alone. I switched out the filter last week, changed the substrate this week. My poor cycle probably doesn't know what to do with itself.

At any rate, I did a water change while I changed the substrate last night and dosed 2mL ammonia. Let's see where we land today

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ding ding ding.... switched out the filter how??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I went from an Azoo Palm (3g; :face palm: ) to an Aqua Clear 20. I moved all of the media from Azoo to AquaClear, but added a fresh sponge in addition to old media to fill the space. The AC had way more compartment space than the Azoo. I'm impressed. No bueno?

No.. it's bueno.. if you transfered media than my idea is out.. just leave it and let it cycle?? I'm no good with the fishless stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohhh. Fearless, are you? I straight up murdered our first betta so I'm trying to be legit this time.

I totally need to leave this tank alone. I'm telling y'all that's what it is: my happy hands in the tank.

just an update on the cycle...we continue to have low ammonia 0.10 - 0.50, mid nitrite 1.0 - 2.0 and mid to high nitrates. We are just waiting it out... I believe we entered a mini cycle when we upgraded filters, so just trying to be patient.

Ugh! I am feeling your pain. Patience and restraint are the watchwords of our hobby. I have more problems with the "restraint" part, myself. I never want to add "just" the recommended three new fish a week or two. I want to add twice that and tell myself I'll stay on top of the water changes. Sometimes I do...

Anyway, be proud of yourself so far. :)

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Ugh! I am feeling your pain. Patience and restraint are the watchwords of our hobby. I have more problems with the "restraint" part, myself. I never want to add "just" the recommended three new fish a week or two. I want to add twice that and tell myself I'll stay on top of the water changes. Sometimes I do...

Anyway, be proud of yourself so far. :)

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Trying to be proud! Just worried about my cycle, but I'm keeping the dream alive as best I can :)

Back
Top Bottom