Cycling with Active Sponge - Our Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question about our cycle...

Since ammonia keeps dropping pretty much overnight, but nitrites are taking longer. Can I stop dosing ammonia? I feel like I'm prolonging my cycle because I keep making nitrites and the nitrates are trying to keep up. Nitrates are totally rising, so they're there getting their conversion on.

I'm starting to wonder if the reason my cycle seems a little stalled is because I keep adding ammonia. What do you guys think?

Waiting for the response, I'm on the same boat !!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you stop dosing ammonia and go to zero, your Stage 1 (ammonia =>nItrItes) bacteria will starve and die off. You have to keep both stages of BBS alive.

~ Sent with the velocity of a European laden swallow

You're doing good and although it may have set you back a little changing some things, you will be so glad you did! Your tank is looking great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh yeah!!! Its about 3 weeks now. Initially there was some nitrates. Then it stopped and stayed put. Since then I've added 10ppm worth of ammonia. Everything got converted to nitrites, but no change in nitrates :(

if your nitrites are really high you need to do a water change. have you checked your pH?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes PH stays around 8 all the time.

I won't be back with my tank until Mar 12, so the tank is in my hubby's hands while I'm gone. hoping to be cycled by the time I'm home

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

hello friends! After 1 week away from my tank while my hubby dosed ferts and light...I came home to...an evaporated tank with algae! yay! Luckily, it's wiping right off and my plants are alive, though. A few melted. The good news is my nitrite is nice and blue, my ammonia is less than 0.25 but not exactly 0 and my nitrates are 80. I took out all the melty bits, cleaned off the BBA, and changed 90% of my water. I dosed ammonia this evening 2.5mL and I'm hoping for a cycled tank tomorrow. I believe she is cycled! But...I'm waiting to see for sure.

IT'S TIME!!! FINALLY. We are cycled!!!! Less than 24 hours later we're at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 40 nitrate!!! So excited!!!!

I just met up with a fellow AA member and picked up the RCS, and endler fry. they are so so cute. They are drip acclimating now. I have a hospital tank set up (waiting for it to instant-cycle) in the event that I need it.

These little guys are so cute.

Back
Top Bottom