cycling with household ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started cycling my tank yesterday using household ammonia. I raised ammonia to about 4ppm. I checked ammonia levels today and its almost at zero. After just one day. Is this normal??

I started cycling my tank yesterday using household ammonia. I raised ammonia to about 4ppm. I checked ammonia levels today and its almost at zero. After just one day. Is this normal??

Are you using seeded filter media from a pre-established tank? Without seeded media it is pretty abnormal for it to drop that much on the first day. What are your readings for nitrite and nitrate?

I just checked nitrates there high. Going to check nitrates now. . I have gravel from an old tank but I washed all the gravel before I put it in new tank to avoid any diseases.

I just checked nitrates there high. Going to check nitrates now. . I have gravel from an old tank but I washed all the gravel before I put it in new tank to avoid any diseases.

It does seem like the ammonia has been turnes into nitrites. If the nitrites are off-the-charts high, do a 50% water change, or enough to get them back to a readable level. Then, add more ammonia, only this time a bit less, about 2 ppm or so.

Back
Top Bottom