Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrskippy317

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi , 2 weeks ago I set up a new 280 Litre (75 gallon) fresh water tropical fish tank. I used a chlorine and ammonia remover , and then added a dose of stress zyme ( biological filtration booster) and have added two more doses since , day 7 and day 14. I added 2 baby oscars and 3 baby silver sharks 9 days ago. I have been testing the water daily whilst the fish have been in the tank and the highest ammonia spike I got was 0.6mg/L on day 3 of fish being in the tank. On day 9 of fish being in the tank (today) my readings were ammonia: 0.0 , nitrite: 0.05mg/L and nitrates of 5.0mg/L. PH has been consistent between 6.8 and 7.0 for the whole Time. Would it be possible for the cycle to be complete? Or should i be expecting a larger ammonia/ nitrite spike. Ammonia has been 0.0 for about 3 days and nitrite has been <0.1 mg for 3 days and I can see nitrates slowly increasing. Any advice / thoughts would be appreciated as this is my first aquarium. by the way - silver sharks are being sold once they get a little bigger. Thank you in advance :)

My advice is just make sure you do lots of pwc for the next 2 weeks just incase and you should be fine

Tested levels today again still the same.... Should I be doing water changes 2 weeks into the cycle if ammonia and nitrite are so low (less than 0.05mg/l and nitrates are only at 5mg/l ?

What test kit are you using? I didn't know any of them tested that low of ppm. I wouldn't worry about it at less it starts to go up ;) so just keep an eye I'm it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom