cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retorres70

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am new to this site and to fish, so compared to others i know nothing. I am setting up a 55 gal. what exactly is cycling and what is the most important thing i need to know about tank and fish care?

Welcome to the forum! It is good that you are getting the necessary info, because this will help you more than you know. We will be happy to help with whatever you have questions about, throughout the entire process. Then you will be able to help those folks one step behind you :wink:

Here is an article (found in the Articles section of this site) that explains the nitrogen cycle. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

i understand the process above for salt water. would the same work for fresh? if not what other tips could you offer? About how long would this take for a 55 gal.?

i understand the process above for salt water. would the same work for fresh? if not what other tips could you offer? About how long would this take for a 55 gal.?

retorres70 said:
I am assuming you are talking about the fishless cycle. It's done in the same way as you would for a salt tank.

How long it takes is hard to say. Some tanks go faster than others and I have no idea as to why. Basically you're looking at 4-8 weeks for the full cycle to take place. Just make sure you don't add ammonia to the tank while having an ammonia removing product in your filter. Defeats the purpose...

I have had tanks take 8 weeks (talk about trying your patience!) and as short as 4, and I really don't have a clue what makes it go slower versus faster. Just follow the steps and you WILL get there, and it gives you plenty of time to plan the tank in the meantime.

Well, if we are speaking FW here, I definitely think any kind of seeding will help things along - I was going completely fishless on a 44gal with no seeding and at 3 weeks I tossed in 2 biowheels that I forgot I had floating in my 55 among the tall plants, and I was completely cycled in another 2 days.

Using uncured LR should help speed up the process
Are you talking about putting LR in a FW tank? From the little I know about SW, wouldn't that kill all the goodies/extras that come with LR? Or is that only on cured LR?

I'm a little behind in responding but it took me about 9 weeks to cycle my 29 gal fw tank. I don't know how I would have made it if it hadn't been for this forum. Read, Read, and read some more. There are alot of great people on this forum and you will get alot of help along your way.

Another thing that I've learned is to have PATIENCE!!!! Don't try to hurry it it will happen. Good Luck and welcome to this great forum :D :D

Back
Top Bottom