Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

I just set up a 3 gallon freshwater tank. I'm cycling by putting a pinch of fish food once a day and testing once a day. Am I doing it right?
If not, what do I change?

Thanks!

Water question

Hi!
I just got a 3 gallon freshwater tank and just tested the water (cycling tank) and my test said the hardness in ppm is 0-25 ppm, the alkanity is 120-300 ppm, and the ph is between 7.8-8.4 ppm. I was wondering if these levels are normal and If they aren't how do I raise/lower them? Like I said, I'm cycling, so will they change when I'm done cycling?

Thanks!

Hi!
I just got a 3 gallon freshwater tank and just tested the water (cycling tank) and my test said the hardness in ppm is 0-25 ppm, the alkanity is 120-300 ppm, and the ph is between 7.8-8.4 ppm. I was wondering if these levels are normal and If they aren't how do I raise/lower them? Like I said, I'm cycling, so will they change when I'm done cycling
Thanks!

Are You Using Test Strips or a Kit?

Agreed test strips arnt very good I own both api test strips and api master kit And they kit is great, it provides clear and accurate reading that are needed when cycling a tank, the fish food method is fine but u def need a test kit for it as leaving food to decomp in the tank releases unknown amounts of ammonia

And to be honest your not testing the proper things : ) u need to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, as these are the toxins that are being cycled

Back
Top Bottom