Dalmatian Molly acting strangely...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

makayla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dalmatian Molly acting strangely... Please help me save my fish ...

Hi, okay so I have a 10 gallon fish tank and am pretty new to being a fish owner :) I have a carbon filter and a general tank filter that came with my tank. I also have bubblers and air stones to keep it pretty well oxygenated. I Got my first set of fish in August with a beta and then a few days later adding Mickey mouse platte's (3) african dwarf frogs 2 and then after like two weeks I added a picasimus, I lost one Platte the two frogs and my picasimus after about a month, we thought it was because of poor filtration and not enough partial water changes, thus we added the carbon filters. My beta and the other two Platte's. Did really well after that and I didnt want to add fish because I didn't like losing them.... For Easter my parents surprised me with 3 new frogs, 2 mollys, and 2 picasimus (algae was growing?) and now that we had an established tank it felt right. I had one picasimus die last week, we quickly took him out of the tank, I kinda think he was sick when we got him because one was really moving slow and the other picasimus was eating like crazy right away after introducing them to the tank. I have been feeding fish flakes, bottom eater pellets, and occasionally bloodworms 1 a day (might also be a problem)
Now I have a Molly acting strangely on the bottom, it was by the heater for quite a while, and now is just on the bottom. I'm going to do a partial water change to see if that'll help.... I'd love all advice..... I don't want to lose more fish?

How are the fish?

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle?

Do you have a test kit? Know your parameters?

The article link in my signature is great basics and useful information and explains about the cycling aspects.

Most of the fish died, I only have 1 molly, my betta and my frogs left. I think it was ick. We got ick treatments but I think they may have been to harsh for the fish to survive :(
There are still signs of ick on the fish. The frogs and betta have been removed from the main tank. We did buy a test kit and have tested it twice....

I am sorry to hear that.

Do you have a test kit to check the water?

Although the Ich shouldn't bother the ADF, the medication used for treating might.

Does the Betta look like it has Ich?

Often treated with heat and salt.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/freshwater-ich-yuck/

Sometimes a sick fish from the store can spread disease. Doing a quarantine for the fish for a couple weeks is beneficial. And sometimes up to a 4 week period if the fish are especially valuable monetarily or emotionally.

But if you look for fish at the store with perky behavior, not clamped fins, not hiding in the corner or at the bottom or top of the tank, any initial observable thinks like Ich or worms in the tank where the fish are located. Trying of course to find fish which are as healthy as possible.

When you bring home new fish, acclimate their water to your water and unless they are really sensitive fish, this doesn't take too long, as you do not want the fish to get chilled.

Getting the tank cycled info in that article link in my signature.

And being able to test your water to make sure that the environment for the fish is safe and as comfortable as possible so they can stay healthy.

At least some ideas for getting new fish in the future.

Back
Top Bottom