Danio breeding help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidgolding

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a tank with 10 danio's in and I really want to breed them. They are in a room temp tank with just a filter. They females are huge and ready to spawn but just will not spawn. The tank is in the corner of a room well out the way of direct sun light. They are fed twice a day, and are very happy fish. Any help no matter how small would help. I've been told to leave them and they will spawn but they are not?! Help me please I really want my danio's to breed as one of them is beautiful shiny blue/purple. In the uk we call them pearl danio's

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, for your breeding chances to be better you really need 2 tanks... one for the fish to lay eggs in and one to hold the adults so they don't eat the eggs or the babies.

For them to spawn you want the pH of the tank to be acidic (6.0-6.5) and in direct sunlight. When the sun starts to light up the tank in the morning is when they will most likely spawn.

Okay the room they are in does not get direct sun light so I will look into this as I have a room the does. What ratio do you think would be best to maximise my chance? I only have 2 females and 6 males. Good or bad? The girls are very conditioned.

I'd try 1:1 and see how that goes, but that's only because I've gotten lucky before. If someone else happens to know, go with what they say.

Okay thanks. I've heard to feed the fish really good food for a day like brine shrimp or what ever would you agree??? Can I just put adults in something like a lunch box to breed then take them out wait for the babies to hatch then move them?

Yes on the brine shrimp, especially if you want to get live brine shrimp. That triggers most small fish to spawn.

Haha, in theory the lunchbox thing would work but I would do something with more space. You can get a 10G tank without the hood, filter, lights, or heater for like $10. With all that stuff, it's more like $40-50. If that really isn't an option you can use a vase or fish bowl (Which would be considerably easier to put by a window), just make sure you do water changes because the water will get awful in an unfiltered tank/bowl/lunchbox.

Well they will only be in there a day then I will transport the fry to another tank I have. I just want fry is all lol. Hmmm I have some real thinking to do because I am pretty separate to do this as I really want to breed them.

No I've been breeding live bearers for about 5 years. But just started up again and getting very successful.

I did a long time ago with guppies. I would like to get back into it but I'm married with children and don't get a lot of time for it now. But I would love to do it again. Have you?

Well seeing as I'm 15, no. But I'm well on my way to it. I'm on my 4th in-bred brood. The only pattern is red dorsal and tail fins, a fade from yellow to black on the body, and two red horizontal dashes on their upper abdomen.

Sounds nice. That's good to hear your 15 and that passionate.

Whenever I get into something, I obsess over it lol. But the danios should spawn fairly easily, the only issue is they will eat the eggs as soon as they scatter them. If you do end up using a lunch box or something else just cover the bottom with marbles or gravel so the eggs can go between there before the parents can eat them.

Back
Top Bottom