Danio Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyrmir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just got my first batch of danio fry in a kind of round about way...opened the filter and a few dozen flooded into the tank! After thier sudden ejection they all quickly attached themself to the nearest surface in the tank.

What I'm trying to figure out now is how long I should wait before feeding them? After looking at a bunch of sites they all seem to say free-swimming is the sign to get some food in there, but does that mean not attaching themselves to the tank most of the time, or capable of swimming. They are capable of swimming, they move around once in a while to re-attach to different spots. But for the most part, they're stuck to the surfaces.

wow, two months and not a single reply. Well, I would assume you have to feed them pretty quick. But I really replied to this message because I was curious how they were doing now.

how they were doing now.

That would depend...The survivors are doing great! They're actually in my main tank now playing with the adult danios. As for the great majority of the original fry though...They're now swirling the drains o doom.

I finally did find out that the infusoria used to feed them should actually be put in the tank before they even hatch. It gives them time to reproduce before the fry hatch so there's an abundant supply of them come hatching day. Apparently infusoria is a live protazoan food.

All in all I'm amazed I did have 6 survivors, and hopefully next time I'll have a much better survival rate. I haven't had a single death among my swordtail fry that I know of, so I figure, once I get that initial feading thing right life should be good in fishy world.

Back
Top Bottom