Danios died fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphy9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started a 75 gallon tank, had it up and running for 3 days. Water tested perfect for Danios to be put in to help cycle it..bought 8 of them, all were healthy the first day, then they took turns dying with in the next 3 days, all of them. What am I doing wrong? Here is my tank. It has a wet/dry trickle pump, 2 air stones, temp. stays at 78 degrees. I used the dechlorinator recommended amount on the first day of the tank setup.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121231_154843.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121231_154843.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 55
Something must be wrong with your water. Danios are pretty darn hardy and to lose all of them that fast something is amiss. Sounds like ammonia got them. 3 days isn't enough time to cycle that tank unless you seeded the tank or used some kind of beneficial bacteria like tetra safe start.

I don't think it was ammonia. Pretty sure 8 danios wouldn't produce a toxic level of ammonia in 3 days. Something must be wrong though, unless they were sick when you got them?

I'm assuming you're talking about zebra danios?

I don't think it was ammonia. Pretty sure 8 danios wouldn't produce a toxic level of ammonia in 3 days. Something must be wrong though, unless they were sick when you got them?

I'm assuming you're talking about zebra danios?

Actually it may have been ammonia as there is a significant change when you put four in it was risky with eight. Are you sure the shop you bought it from had healthy fish in the tanks? They may have had problems in the shops tank when you bought them were they acting wierd? Don't worry its nothing you've done!

Actually it may have been ammonia as there is a significant change when you put four in it was risky with eight.

In a 75g? I would understand that you don't want to put 8 danios (I'm guessing of the zebra variety) in a 30g right away, but I'd think it would be ok in a 75g. Especially for only a few days.

Did you test the ammonia on day 2 and 3?

Back
Top Bottom