DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
Oh n to top it off.. for some reason its gonna take 10 days before I get my order from BRS... ridiculous

With thanksgiving and black Friday coming up not to surprising honestly lol

My brother makes all of his own rock (cept for the true ocean live rock of that he seeds his tank with). It takes a long time to cure but it looks better than anything else I've seen other than really nice handpicked live Fiji. It's probably not an option for a lot of people but I'm shocked more people on the site aren't doing it. I helped a buddy make some about 10 years ago.

I think i might just try and make 2 stacks, one ALOT bigger than the other and see how i like that.. after all, it is what I like right? lol

and of course im sitting here lookin at all the rock and not liking anything and then i remembered, well when its filled out with corals, itll look a helluva lot better ;) so i guess i shouldnt beat myself up too much, after all, i hated the scape in my 29G and it looks awesome now :)

DanS180 said:
How does everyone feel about "Bio-Spira"?

Also, what kind of epoxy should i be using for the rocks?

Dan, don't know anything about Bio-Spira but I do know that Marineland makes an aquarium safe epoxy. It is a green "stick" in a plastic tube. You knead it like dough until its white in color. I have used it to attach some of my heavier coral to rocks and once it hardens, it is solid.

Anything that has "safe for potable water sources" on it should be okay to use. I buy the stuff at the hardware store for years.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks guys, I'll take a look at my local hardware store and if not, then I'll go to Walmart or something lol

DanS180 said:
I think i might just try and make 2 stacks, one ALOT bigger than the other and see how i like that.. after all, it is what I like right? lol

You may not like it at all. It has to look good to you! If you could get just one good rock scape out of the stone you have now, even if the rest looks a little bleh you can fix it up when the rest of the rock gets to you. Then, if you see you have enough to pull off a nice wall you could always connect the whole thing. When you don't have quite enough rock to fill a tank, just getting one cool looking area set up can work better than spreading it across the tank. That way it's just a matter of adding on to it instead of redoing the whole thing.

Those epoxy sticks saved my but a few times.

You may not like it at all. It has to look good to you! If you could get just one good rock scape out of the stone you have now, even if the rest looks a little bleh you can fix it up when the rest of the rock gets to you. Then, if you see you have enough to pull off a nice wall you could always connect the whole thing. When you don't have quite enough rock to fill a tank, just getting one cool looking area set up can work better than spreading it across the tank. That way it's just a matter of adding on to it instead of redoing the whole thing.

Those epoxy sticks saved my but a few times.

Thats what i think im gonna do, just work on one stack right now and wait for the others to arrive, and yeah im gonna go out maybe today or tomorrow to get epoxy, i started to fill the tank to check for leaks in the meantime

when do u think would be a good time i go out and get stuff for the refugium?

You can add whatever rock or sand is needed after the saltwater is the right salinity ant everything is flowing. It's so much easier to mix the starting saltwater in empty tanks than in buckets. Once the saltwater is right you add the sand and stone just like in your 29.

You can add whatever rock or sand is needed after the saltwater is the right salinity ant everything is flowing. It's so much easier to mix the starting saltwater in empty tanks than in buckets. Once the saltwater is right you add the sand and stone just like in your 29.

well i can take the rocks out to scape them, but the sand has already been rinsed and put into the tank... should i have waited on that??

DanS180 said:
well i can take the rocks out to scape them, but the sand has already been rinsed and put into the tank... should i have waited on that??

Well... If your pour the water in too fast it will stir it up and make the water cloudy. However, PFS isn't a super fine sand, so it should clear pretty quickly. One thing you could do is have fun with it. Shove all the sand to one side, build a rock dam across the middle to hold the sand back and pour the water in on the side with no sand. I have no idea if that will help keep the water from clouding up, but it'd be fun. Lol! Like building a dam in a creek when you're out camping.

Bearchumjs said:
Well... If your pour the water in too fast it will stir it up and make the water cloudy. However, PFS isn't a super fine sand, so it should clear pretty quickly. One thing you could do is have fun with it. Shove all the sand to one side, build a rock dam across the middle to hold the sand back and pour the water in on the side with no sand. I have no idea if that will help keep the water from clouding up, but it'd be fun. Lol! Like building a dam in a creek when you're out camping.

Hahaha! The waters gonna cloud up one way or the other.. Im not worried about it being cloudy, tanks gonna have to cycle anyways so I have time for it to clear out lol

DanS180 said:
Hahaha! The waters gonna cloud up one way or the other.. Im not worried about it being cloudy, tanks gonna have to cycle anyways so I have time for it to clear out lol

Yeah, but my idea would be fun. LOL! Anyway, show us what your rock pile looks like when you get it finished!

Bearchumjs said:
Yeah, but my idea would be fun. LOL! Anyway, show us what your rock pile looks like when you get it finished!

Indeed it probably would be lol I'm supposed to be getting some extra $$ today so if I do I might just go out and buy more rock... again.... I am so impatient lol

DanS180 said:

You won't want to mix freshwater with salt in a tank that has sand in it. It's fine to have sand in it but I'd premix all the water and salt before adding it to the tank otherwise salt can get trapped in the sand and not dissolve if you were planning on just adding RO water to the tank and then the salt.

I feel you man! These kinds of steps are where having a good book around helps the most. They always cover this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom