DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes nitrites take longer than ammonia to drop but your nitrates are so high you must have a good colony of bacteria working on it.

Day 16
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
Salinity 1.024

I'm taking the shrimp out tonight.. it smells so bad near my tank now :/

How can I reduce salt creep?? I can see my salinity flucuation becoming a problem somehow. Should I just wipe it back into the water or no?

With no livestock I'd wipe it back in but u don't wanna do that once u have anything in the tank. To stop the salt creep you've gotta find the source which is usually bubbles bursting at the surface. With that said, salt creep comes with the hobby lol

With no livestock I'd wipe it back in but u don't wanna do that once u have anything in the tank. To stop the salt creep you've gotta find the source which is usually bubbles bursting at the surface. With that said, salt creep comes with the hobby lol

Ohh well I guess there's no solving this problem then not with the way my water gets dumped into my sump.. all it does is create bubbles.. thank god for the bubble trap I made lol oh well I guess I can manage.. do u think it'll cause any problems down the road?

No.. honestly if you look under/behind very established old tanks its usually coated bad in salt creep lol. What I did was cut some 1/8" acrylic into 2" wide strips and siliconed them onto the top brace lip of my sump to work as a splash guard.

No.. honestly if you look under/behind very established old tanks its usually coated bad in salt creep lol. What I did was cut some 1/8" acrylic into 2" wide strips and siliconed them onto the top brace lip of my sump to work as a splash guard.

Good point, maybe I'll look into that, for the time being I'll just wipe it back into the sump. Is it bad if a chunk of salt falls back into the sump when there's livestock in the tank?

Good point, maybe I'll look into that, for the time being I'll just wipe it back into the sump. Is it bad if a chunk of salt falls back into the sump when there's livestock in the tank?

It's not optimal, but not the end of the world. Remember, you want to minimize huge swings in chemistry. If salinity shifts 0.001, it's not a big deal but you want to limit it.

It's not optimal, but not the end of the world. Remember, you want to minimize huge swings in chemistry. If salinity shifts 0.001, it's not a big deal but you want to limit it.

Well I can tell its going to fluctuate at least .001 from time to time.. just bc of how much creep I have in my sump...

You can try putting a PVC T connection on your drain line at the very bottom. It'll stop the water from going straight down into the water and has helped me control splashing and noise on two reef setups. It doesn't work with all flow rates but it may be worth a go.

I solved my splash by switching to filter bags instead of socks and just tie it right to my overflow pipe so that it just touches the water.. this completely elimates my splash

I'll have to take a pic of how I have mine set up when I get home.. its hard to explain.. lol

Day 17
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 40ppm
Salinity 1.025

How r my nitrates dropping? Is my macro algae consuming them?

hmm.. interesting... i was expecting my nitrites to drop today a lil bit since i took out the shrimp yesterday but no such luck yet... hopefully tomorrow will be better :)

Denitrifying bacteria in the sand and rock may also be playing a part. I'm surprised your alkalinity hasn't dropped if your nitrates have gotten so low.

Back
Top Bottom