DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 on siphoning some out but it will come back

+1 on adjusting a power head if you can.

I'm still working on getting some chemi pure elite to try. I have some cyano too. It wasn't bad, but one morning I was like holy cow! So I siphoned out all I could see. There's a little here and there now, but nothing too bad. If it starts getting crazy again I will siphon again.

Here's a question that may help you also. I have purigen in my freshwater tank. If I recharge it like they say could I then use it in my saltwater tank? Cause purigen helps remove nutrients and nitrates. I'm thinking I may have a phosphate issue though since my trates are ~5ppm. I believe Hank is running purigen in his 55.

+1 on siphoning some out but it will come back

+1 on adjusting a power head if you can.

I'm still working on getting some chemi pure elite to try. I have some cyano too. It wasn't bad, but one morning I was like holy cow! So I siphoned out all I could see. There's a little here and there now, but nothing too bad. If it starts getting crazy again I will siphon again.

Here's a question that may help you also. I have purigen in my freshwater tank. If I recharge it like they say could I then use it in my saltwater tank? Cause purigen helps remove nutrients and nitrates. I'm thinking I may have a phosphate issue though since my trates are ~5ppm. I believe Hank is running purigen in his 55.

Not much luck with purigen for me, i tried using it for my 29g before and didn't see any results..

As for the power heads.. I may go out eventually and get another koralia 1400gph.. think it would help it I had one on each end of the tank and had em pointed at each other but toward the rocks sorta?

Not much luck with purigen for me, i tried using it for my 29g before and didn't see any results..

As for the power heads.. I may go out eventually and get another koralia 1400gph.. think it would help it I had one on each end of the tank and had em pointed at each other but toward the rocks sorta?

Do you only have the one PH? I think having 2 would definitely help.

I'm not even recharging the Purigen. I just threw out the last batch when I replaced it. I don't have the time to mess around with it, it's under 20 bucks. I run it in place of carbon in my tank in a dual reactor, with GFO in the other chamber.

I love Purigen but it doesn't fight cyano. It does help clarify the water and helps pull out organics which is great for fighting other algae that feed on nitrogen.

You can switch it from fresh to saltwater but it's better to have some for each tank. I'd keep it in the freshwater tank. For cyano some type of phosphate removing media along with low feeding and high flow are your best weapons. Siphoning is important. A heavily stocked tank makes it hard to fight. You're way understocked in the 90 but because it's so new even with no fish it can pop up.

Well I did do a 5 gal water change and siphoned out some of it.. no way to get all of it out.. guess I'll just let it run its course even if its ugly as all hell haha

Got a CUC "quote" from ReefCleaners.com, told them about my tank and what i had planned for it, and they got back to me with this. Tell me what you guys think.
80 Dwarf Ceriths
18 Assorted Hermits
21 Nassarius Snails
25 Florida Ceriths
11 Large Nerite Snails
9 Sm-Med Nerite Snails

I feel like this is a lot lol maybe cut in half??

I would half everything but the hermits and nassarrius. Quarter of the ceriths too.

I would half everything but the hermits and nassarrius. Quarter of the ceriths too.

k cool, im glad i asked haha.. When do you think i should maybe order these guys?? Theres a ton of brown algae and cyano to go around, keep that in mind lol

Not much eats cyano and diatoms unfortunately. I would say after it all starts to go away would be a decent time to start getting your cuc. Just remember you need to have enough growth in your tank to support those numbers.

Not much eats cyano and diatoms unfortunately. I would say after it all starts to go away would be a decent time to start getting your cuc. Just remember you need to have enough growth in your tank to support those numbers.

Well i know brown algae will go away eventually.. its already starting to. Will Cyano go away on its own?? or do i have to siphon it all out?

You may want to consider a fighting conch as part of your CUC. It really did a great job on my diatoms.

So I've been reading other threads about cyano and whatnot bc my tank has just gotten really bad with it. Do u guys think I should try the chemiclean or red slime remover stuff?? It would probably take draining the whole tank just to get it all out by siphoning and I don't wanna do that obviously. Tell me what u guys think?

Oh and do u think buying a GFO+carbon reactor would benefit me?

If it is so bad that you could drain the tank by siphoning it out with airline tubing then I would dose red slime remover and do a water change. The Gfo and carbon would benefit your tank, mostly the Gfo to remove phosphates which might be what is feeding this issue. Either way this is still a nutrient problem, either from the water coming in or it is being put in by over feeding. I just started an algae battle from me feeding too much again, using Julian's Thing instead of broadcast feeding has helped along with cutting back from daily feedings again.

If it is so bad that you could drain the tank by siphoning it out with airline tubing then I would dose red slime remover and do a water change. The Gfo and carbon would benefit your tank, mostly the Gfo to remove phosphates which might be what is feeding this issue. Either way this is still a nutrient problem, either from the water coming in or it is being put in by over feeding. I just started an algae battle from me feeding too much again, using Julian's Thing instead of broadcast feeding has helped along with cutting back from daily feedings again.

Well I only feed once every 2-3 days. And I only feed about 1/4 cube of frozen food. So Its not overfeeding. The water I'm using is from my RO/Di unit. 0 TDS.

After my cycle I was doing water changes religiously to get my trates down. So I can't see it being an issue with water especially bc my 29g tank is doing fine.

If the 29 is ok, then there is something different between the the tanks in terms of nurtient import as that proves that the water is fine, as does the 0 tds reading. You aren't feeding corals?

If the 29 is ok, then there is something different between the the tanks in terms of nurtient import as that proves that the water is fine, as does the 0 tds reading. You aren't feeding corals?

Nope, only have a few corals in the 90 as of now. I still need to get another powerhead but I can't see that fixing the problem 100%. I think for the time being im gonna point my 1 PH toward the rocks and see what happens

You'd be amazed at what flow will.do.tiff algae buildup dan, I'm not saying it'll solve it entirely but another powerhead or two will help alot and your coral I'm sure will appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom