DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'd be amazed at what flow will.do.tiff algae buildup dan, I'm not saying it'll solve it entirely but another powerhead or two will help alot and your coral I'm sure will appreciate it

Well I guess I'm gonna relocate my one PH. Probably go buy another one and see what happens.

Plus I have the money now bc I'm getting refunded for that defective light I bought on ebay.

classklown90 said:
You'd be amazed at what flow will.do.tiff algae buildup dan, I'm not saying it'll solve it entirely but another powerhead or two will help alot and your coral I'm sure will appreciate it

I agree. Strong varying flow can do a lot of the work to keep cyano from coming back once it's gone. GFO is one of the best weapons but red slime remover and chemiclean have to be dosed very carefully. It's actually important to take the rock and sand displacement into consideration when dosing these things. Last time I used chemiclean (13 years ago) my 30 gallon tank had about 60 pounds of live rock and my 15 gallon sump had a plenum with about 4 1/2" of sand. I figured that I only had at most 25 gallons of total water volume but only doses enough chemiclean for about 20 gallons to be safe and it did the trick. If I hadn't taken the rock and sand into account I could've easily overdosed the tank and caused real harm.

That was before GFO was being used in reef tanks. Now that we have it, it's generally agreed that running a reactor is a better way to spend money battling the problem. Well, that and flow, seeing how both are beneficial to the aquarium for the whole of it's life. Antibiotic treatments are a perfectly reasonable last resort but they won't stop the problem from coming back the way GFO and flow can.

Sorry to hear about the cyano battle. I would be a +1 on the recommendation of the conchs!! You do could do 2-3 in that size tank (although only start with 1, which im sure you know already). I've never had cyano, but when I googled it, there were a couple of responses that I saw that said that some conchs will eat cyano!!! Worth a shot.

Interesting on everyone's responses. I think for starters, I'm gonna get another PH and move em around and see what happens. Now do you think I should siphon out as much as possible before doing anything? Or just let it be?

As far as the Reactor, ill look into one. Which one would u guys recommend? BRS dual reactor?

Oh and about the conch eating cyano. Not sure I believe that or not, my conch in my 29 doesn't touch any of the little patches of cyano that randomly sprout about so I dunno lol

I don't think anything eats cyano to be honest. Also flow is a huge factor, I just rescaped and moved my powerheads to combat my dead zones and cyano just a couple days ago. Dead zones means build up and build up means problems in the future lol. I would just siphon as much as you can during normal WCs and the rest will begin to dissapear when the nutrients do. I big factor is probably you base rock. It probably had a lot of build up inside it so now just need to wait for it to quit leeching.

I don't think anything eats cyano to be honest. Also flow is a huge factor, I just rescaped and moved my powerheads to combat my dead zones and cyano just a couple days ago. Dead zones means build up and build up means problems in the future lol. I would just siphon as much as you can during normal WCs and the rest will begin to dissapear when the nutrients do. I big factor is probably you base rock. It probably had a lot of build up inside it so now just need to wait for it to quit leeching.

Hmm base rock... didn't think of that one. Yeah like I was saying with my PH, I'm gonna move it so its aimed directly as the rocks and see what happens bc it seems like its on a certain portion of rocks rather evenly distributed.

So in other news. I've been trying to take pics with the blue lights on bc the corals I do have in there really look awesome under the blue light. BUT the pictures don't come out the way I want them to, atleast not on my phone :/

I promise to try n get some type of pics up soon guys don't worry :)

I know how you feel :( I've been using my phone from day 1. Bout to pay my mom (ex photographer) to come do a "photo shoot" on my tank and corals haha

I know how you feel :( I've been using my phone from day 1. Bout to pay my mom (ex photographer) to come do a "photo shoot" on my tank and corals haha

Haha that'd be pretty cool actually!.. its funny, the cyano is so bad in parts of my tank that under blue lights, it actually glows a lil bit brighter Hahaha

So I got my money back for the defective light I ordered on eBay. Now I'm debating if I should save up and buy from the previous guy I bought from(1st light) or should I just get by with 1 light and order my powerhead and reactor???

So I got my money back for the defective light I ordered on eBay. Now I'm debating if I should save up and buy from the previous guy I bought from(1st light) or should I just get by with 1 light and order my powerhead and reactor???

Since you are having such a cyano outbreak, I vote for the reactor and power head.

I don't have any experience with the BRS reactors but the Phosban reactors are solid. You may want to do a "vs." search to see what comes up.

I would go with brs single reactors since on the duals the sencond chamber sometimes has flow issues.

Brs reactor hands down. I have both and and love it. If you want a 2 little fishes one, I have one with a pump I believe that I can sell you, just Lmk. But the brs is just better built in my opinion

Brs reactor hands down. I have both and and love it. If you want a 2 little fishes one, I have one with a pump I believe that I can sell you, just Lmk. But the brs is just better built in my opinion

Yeah I was looking at that reactor too, I think I'm gonna go with the BRS one tho

Okay before i go through with this purchase, just wanna make sure this is good..

The GFO+Carbon reactor they have on BRS, theres 1 with and 1 without the pump. Theyre sold out of the pumps so i was just gonna get the reactor itself and also purchase a Maxi-Jet1200. Do you think this would be okay? The pump it comes with is a Cobalt MJ1200.

Back
Top Bottom