Darrrrnnn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found one of those snail things everyone hates so much. only found one so far, I dont want them infesting me, any ideas to kill them off?

I occasionally find those snails too, usually a couple of days after I add new plants. I just take them out of the tank and throw them out when I see them. I have never seen more than one at a time, so I think if you keep up on spotting them and tossing them you won't get an infestation. So don't panic......

Alot of loaches will eat snails. You could add 3 yoyo loaches just don't get clown loaches (they will get too big).

Yo-Yo (aka Pakistani) loaches, Zebra loaches and dwarf loaches will all keep your snail population under control. I would recommend getting three or four because they like each other's company and are more active.

My green severn ate mystery snails.. alot of fish will actually.. but I got a horrible infestation anyway.. I would remove any I saw as soon as possible.. and if you get gloop on the sides of the tank or sticking to anything in the tank remove it.. youll have alot more snails from it..ACK.. a school of fish that are known to eat snails is the normal way of resoving the problem but you might want to look into soaking your plants before you put them in next time.. :mrgreen: hindsite.. yea its always great.. :mrgreen:

Puffer fish will eat ANYTHING with a shell. or try to anyways. I Used to have a snail problem back when i had a 5 gallon and i had bought two leapord puffers and they ate all the snails. and it keeps their teeth nice and filled down and sharp.

Since it's only one snail, I will not advise you to add more fish to your tank. Do you know if the snail is a mts or ramshorn, mystery, etc.? Personally, I love my snails (unless I am culling the population). I have three sand tanks and the mts are wonderful for aeration. I added two different types of snails to my 50 gallon and wish they would reproduce!

I agree that snails aren't necessarily a bad thing. I have Malayan trumpet snails in several of my tanks to stir up the substrate and eliminate any pockets of anaerobic bacteria. I got them by mistake when they hitched along on some plants. They stay under the gravel pretty much during the day and come out when the lights go off.

I have ramshorn snails in my 30 gallon tank, unintentionally of course, and they help clean up the tank as well as serve as food for my South American puffer. The downside is having to remove empty snail shells from the tank.

Hey talloulou- try throwing your snails in with your severum sometime, mine loves a snaily snack. :twisted:

GIMojo- I've heard of people putting a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight and then removing it, along with snails, the next morning. Maybe that would work if you don't want to add more fish. :D

I had a few appearing a couple of weeks after I added new plants. I kept throughing them out and now they're gone.

Back
Top Bottom