Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a spotter when I fly with the goggles. But I find it fun! I had to buy some readers when wearing it because they don’t adjust but you can easily wear your glasses while it’s on. It’s huge, but lightweight and balanced well. It looks like a IMAX screen from the middle seats. I love mine. I’m sure they will get better and better. Be sitting down when you use them!

Sooooo. Is your “spotter”just there to keep an eye on where you are ,..Or does he actually have the controls in hand and you’re just there to look around ?

I shot much of this using the goggles and spotters with radios. My arthritis makes it impossible for me to follow my hiking relatives but I was flying into totally unpopulated areas using the goggles. I flew thru trees, using the forward collision cameras it kept me clear of obstacles. It was very cool.

Wow !!, that’s some beautiful footage ,... m@vic or your inspire? ... you’re light years ahead of me but don’t look b@ck cuz Darys slowly gaining ,...I figure by 2025 I’ll be where you are today !

That’s the Mavic. I took the Inspire and only flew it once. The bigger camera is nice, but the convenience factor on the Mavic had me grabbing it out the door almost every time.

I was just finishing up my weekly water change and thought I’d give a quick update on what’s going on ,... since hawaii my sps have really taken off and are growing at an insane rate ,.... about a week or so ago I bought a 2x2 inch neon green “birds nest “ and she’s doing very well so far also ,... I checked with my lfs for some more crazy monti’s but they were kinda in limbo there so maybe I’ll ck back this week .
As some of you may know I personally work for a large sportfishing landing in san Diego California ,... just for interest I thought I’d share what a 15-16 foot great white shark bite looks like on a 70# yellowfin tuna ,... we run long range trips down into Mexico where the big guys live :-/ ,.. quadalupe island roughly speaking is about 240 miles from San Diego and is world known for its fall great white shark colonies ,...maybe a little off topic but interesting to see regardless IMG_2082.jpgIMG_2081.jpgIMG_2083.jpg

Barb ,... truly the last of the dinosaurs !!! ..... amazing animals !!!
Later on this week I’ll be dropping by my lfs and picking up a few more monti’s or ?.. I’ve got a couple of areas in my tank that I’d like to start a colony or two .

Last edited:
I Stopped by the lfs on the way home and bought a couple of corals to start filling up a gap or two in the tank ,..a neon green birds nest ,a large monti confusa and a green piece of monti Capricornis ,... luckily my lfs buddy gives me a little price break :) ,... over the next couple of months I’ll be working from the center of the tank to left side trying to get a few frags to brighten things up a little IMG_2327.jpgIMG_2329.jpgIMG_2330.jpg

I’m always looking to try out new reactors, pumps etc to try and upgrade what I’ve already have up and running ,.a few months back I decided to try out the new innovative marine gfo reactor, I thought I’d finally found my ideal gfo reactor ,however ,over the last few months I’ve discovered a few issues that have made me possible think otherwise , it has a tendency ( at least in my case ) to increase the flow rate seemingly on its own and blow out the gfo into your sump/ tank ,... I used a little tape to hold the settings in place which helps but it’s just not as trust worthy as I’ve hoped for ,... imo ,it’ll be best suited for carbon use . I’ve decided to go back to my old brs reactor and give that another try.
So,... as you prob remember a while back it seemed like everybody was low or out on the hcgfo ,...I ended up buying some regular aquamaxx gfo which is really fine and dusty which only added to the short comings of the innovative marine reactor . I usually run brs hcgfo but have wanted to try out some rowaphos gfo ,..I ordered a bulk bucket of it the other day but kinda chickened out and cancelled the order,...I went ahead and ordered up some more of the brs hcgfo instead which I’m familiar with ... I understand the rowaphos is a man made gfo ( Germany ) and according to just about all the reviews I’ve read everybody loves it ... anyone here use it ?
I decided this morning to reorder some to try it out in the reactor just for my own piece of mind .... I’d love to hear of any thoughts on it pro or con

Dary, I have had the same situation over the years. Between faulty reactors and clumping gfo, I spent a lot of time and money on garbage. I used Phosban for a while. Grew to not trust the aluminum part of the equation. Used regular gfo, it clumped into a brick within a few weeks. For the past several years I’ve used Rowaphos. It is filthy and needs to be rinsed first, but after that it works great.

My innovative marine gfo reactor once again flooded my tank with gfo !! , seemingly no matter what you try to do to prevent it from happening it suddenly just goes berserk like a possessed mad dog .
Luckily , as posted earlier It was already in the works to get rid of this pile of crap and replace it with my old brs reactor , unfortunately my old brs was missing some pieces so I ordered a new one and hurriedly set it all up and added some hcgfo and she’s humming away as advertised !!
Thank goodness I have a great working skimmer cuz by the looks of the collection cup ,it looks like it musta taken out about 99% of what went into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom