Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My pooch is doing well now thanks for asking. Somehow she still manages to get a hold of one of my son's toys every now & again.

I love the finish. Where I live people pay a lot of money for distressed wood cabinets. Maybe it's a southern or Cajun/Creole thing but "old" is definitely the trend, even with new homes. Bravo for having the balls to take a risk. It's good to see that it turned out so nice.

Did you worry about pulling the fumes into the skimmer or did you run the air intake to another room as a precaution?

I love the finish. Where I live people pay a lot of money for distressed wood cabinets. Maybe it's a southern or Cajun/Creole thing but "old" is definitely the trend, even with new homes. Bravo for having the balls to take a risk. It's good to see that it turned out so nice.

Did you worry about pulling the fumes into the skimmer or did you run the air intake to another room as a precaution?

Thank you,. but as I said before it really does look 100% better in person,..I applied a clear coat this morning and that put a nice little sheen to it,....re.air,..nope ,.just used a fan and big pwc,..it really wasn't that bad ,...I was actually picking out wood with knots and notches and purposely made some of the joints rather gappy just to add to the feel of old rustic lobster trap ,..oh well,.she's done for now but I will be adding to it in time.,my gf is convinced of this !!

I'm going to do a comparison of the Rapid LED Onyx light to a regular Chinese panel over on my Dynamic Aquarium thread. They are very nice.
Love your cabinets!

Thank you guys,..it's nice to hear that all my trips to home depot , the bank and the liquor store were not in vain,.. :)

What do you guys think about the advantages or disadvantages of 2 part dosing vs a calcium reactor setup? Saw a used reactor for sale, but it looks like a pain to setup. Been using BSR chemicals and a dosing pump for a few years and it does pretty well. Maybe if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I purchased a few calcium reactors over the years, but never set them up. I ended up reselling them. If I was having a problem keeping parameters stable, I would go the bulk additives route. A pair of dosing pumps hooked to a couple timers should work fine.

I use a korallin kalkcreator (calcium reactor) and love it. Set it and forget it. Once adjusted it requires no maintenance except to change the media every six months or so. I like it so much I'm setting up the same on my frag system.

Isn't the controller, probe calibration and filling the C02 tank a pain?

The controller is easy to setup. I use the digital aquatics Reefkeeper units and once you learn it there's nothing to it. I must say I hate the probe calibration but once again that I do twice yearly so its not too bad if I look at it like that. As far as the Co2 I had two 20# tanks already in my garage and the korallin unit is so efficient most reviews I read before I made my decision to purchase it said a 5# tank lasted 18-24 moths so I feel I should get a few years out of each tank :) Besides, I am at welding supply places all the time for work and where I live there are dozens near me so again its not a pain at all. Co2 is pretty cheap too, maybe $45 or so for my big tanks. It's the equipment cost up front that gets you but in the long run its gotta be much more economical than dosing I would think.

I decided to take the day off from my normal monday pwc etc and go fishing instead ,so back off to work i went where some of " the boys" chartered out one of our 80 foot sportfishers fior a jaunt over the border (mexico) for some some california yellowtail fishing...the weather was beautiful, the company was great the beer was ice cold and we found some fish too!!
Pictured is me with a thirty pounder , one of two for me.., we ended up with 21 yellowtails for 18 of us.... Now itll be back to the real world today to do all my normal chores including my tanks pwc making up new rodi water etc.., my tank still seems to be humming right along without any major catastrophes as of late.., :)

Attachments

• image-2527267831.jpg
    image-2527267831.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
When your livestock grows or you add to it, your calcium reactor must be adjusted, just like your dosing amounts must be changed. 6 of them, half dozen of another.

Wow Dary....is that in your freezer, or did you release?

When your livestock grows or you add to it, your calcium reactor must be adjusted, just like your dosing amounts must be changed. 6 of them, half dozen of another.

Wow Dary....is that in your freezer, or did you release?

Saving the " slabs" to smoke em later on.. Smoked yellowtail is delicious.... Just gotta buy some more propane for the smoker ... Life is good !

Back
Top Bottom