Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cold isn't really that bad, as long as the power doesn't go out. My tank hasn't been running through a snowstorm or blizzard though yet. The heat is the issue. In the winter it hits -10 in western pa frequently if it feels like it, but with the train in the basement keeping the house warm it isn't an issue. Then when it gets into 100~ in the summer... No central air, only a window ac unit that I bought last year to, like Doug, keep from having roast dog when I get home. My big issue with that bit is my living room has no insulation, and can't as they built ceiling and roofed it back before my father was alive out of the foundation of an old barn they leveled while my grandfather was strip mining the area for coal. So it gets extremely hot in this room. The window ac maintains it around 80, I wish it could go lower but a larger unit would be needed and that simply won't fit in the windows.

Interesting ,...I'm just finding it fascinating as to what other reefers go thru trying to maintain their systems thru out the year,..same issue on ac here ,...but I rarely if ever use it even in the summer,..maybe I got a little lizard blood in me too like Doug .
On a plus note,..while doing my pwc this am I noticed that my little blue mushrooms have finally decided to start splitting and have started to climb and colonize a little area in my tank,.... At their present rate I'll catch up with Greg's mushroom colony in June 2023 ...,but hey! It's a start !

Attachments

• image-3287543922.jpg
    image-3287543922.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 84
Nice mushrooms, glad they are splitting!
And I like things to be in the 80s, but when it hits 100 in a house that sits in the sun all day with no insulation you are really sitting in an oven. The AC becomes needed. Same for my office at work, where my unit sits in the sun all day and the AC only works in the community rooms/living areas, so I bake all day. Almost as bad when I used to smoke and have to go and stand out in the -10 degrees, not including the wind chill LOL.

I am focused on not letting any short term temp swings happen. In the winter I keep the system at 75-76F and in the summer it's 77-78F.

I have a home heater......which we run through the winter. I keep the house a comfortable temp all year round. I'm not one of those guys that sits in the house with a sweater on to save 10 bucks a month...lol.

I lost thousands in coral years back when in the middle of a hot Midwestern summer the central air unit died. Not happening again to me.

I have a home heater......which we run through the winter. I keep the house a comfortable temp all year round. I'm not one of those guys that sits in the house with a sweater on to save 10 bucks a month...lol.

.lol,....that's funny

So for awhile ive been slowly watching this mysterious plant growth emerging from behind my lobo..i really have no idea what it is but nevertheless im enjoying watching it slowly unfold ., probably like a weed in the garden but still cool

Attachments

• image-2848375000.jpg
    image-2848375000.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1064000079.jpg
    image-1064000079.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 126
  • image-1390493619.jpg
    image-1390493619.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 128
  • image-502820237.jpg
    image-502820237.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 125
So for awhile ive been slowly watching this mysterious plant growth emerging from behind my lobo..i really have no idea what it is but nevertheless im enjoying watching it slowly unfold ., probably like a weed in the garden but still cool

Looks kinda like something might be enjoying it as a snack!

Looks kinda like something might be enjoying it as a snack!

It's actually growing out of little rock directly behind the lobo,,just a tough camera angle to capture right.,..looks to be very hard and tough in nature...
Edit,..oops,..sorry Keith,...I relooked at photos and I see what you meant,.. Nothing in the tank but the humu and he doesn't care,.. No bite marks,just the way it's growing.

Last edited:
It looks a little bit like it could be some type of halimeda. That's assuming it's small and the pictures are close-ups. Otherwise it's likely to be kelp, especially given the reddish brown color. I've grown both types of plants but it's hard to ID from the pictures. Whatever it is, it's cool.

It looks a little bit like it could be some type of halimeda. That's assuming it's small and the pictures are close-ups. Otherwise it's likely to be kelp, especially given the reddish brown color. I've grown both types of plants but it's hard to ID from the pictures. Whatever it is, it's cool.

I think you hit it right on the nose with " halimeda" , after reading up on it and seeing pictures I think you win the grand prize !! Thsnk you

Dary421 said:
I think you hit it right on the nose with " halimeda" , after reading up on it and seeing pictures I think you win the grand prize !! Thsnk you

Alright! It should start to take off well given your calcium and alkalinity levels. They're one of the only family's of plants I like to keep in a display. They grow slowly, don't spread by runners and their holdfast keeps them in place. A little green can be a great touch in a tank. Very cool.

Now back to the residue left behind in your salt mixing barrels/ containers,...so is there anything that you've found that will dissolve that residue? I know that after awhile it'll start to flake off like giant dandruff on its own but im just wondering if anyone's found the perfect solution ( pun intended) to dissolve it.

White vinegar should release the calcium (eventually) but if the brown stuff is clay, nothing will dissolve that easily and you may have to scrub.

Gregcoyote said:
A stronger acid will work faster, but too dangerous IMO.

You could always let some vinegar sit out so it evaporates down to a stronger concentration of acetic acid. Not such a strong acid to be particularly dangerous but it will work faster than the regular strength vinegar. You could also speed up the process by boiling it down instead of evaporating.

Back
Top Bottom