Day 67 of fishless cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out the last couple pages of my guide thread in my signature. We've been dealing with this a lot recently and there's lots of discussion about crushed coral. Fixed everyone right up so far.

Interesting, I'll check out those pages after work! Thanks!

why does carbon affect the cycle, because i am about to do my first fishless cycle with a fluval 305 and that comes woth carbon in the filter should i remove that?

tmdavies said:
why does carbon affect the cycle, because i am about to do my first fishless cycle with a fluval 305 and that comes woth carbon in the filter should i remove that?

Carbon will compete to absorb the ammonia, but it doesn't have a big affect. I'd go ahead and pull it out and only use it down the road if your water gets an odor or you need to remove medicines. Otherwise there's really no need to use it.

Also, check out the guide in my sig if you haven't already seen it.

yeah i read it a few times already what could i put in instead of carbon because the filter is filled half with carbon

tmdavies said:
yeah i read it a few times already what could i put in instead of carbon because the filter is filled half with carbon

In the Fluval? I've got a 405 and I've got polishing pads (you don't need to use them yet either) in my top compartment, bio-media (ceramics) in the middle 2, and my bottom tray is empty in case I ever need to throw carbon or anything else in it. The ceramic media is the most important part of the filter. If you get any seeding material...stick it down in there with the ceramic media.

tmdavies said:

It doesn't affect it whilst cycling. BUT, when you have to change it, about half of the beneficial bacteria goes bye bye. I said trust me, because I just recovered from a cycle crash and burn. Half my fish died and that was only one of the plethora of mistakes made by me. Live and learn. But I knew better. Don't do the same thing

yeah i have lots of seeding material from my other tank, think i will replace the carbon with gravel from that tank.
I have filled my old tank with all the decorations i have aswell so when i put them in the new one ill have a bigger head start.

tmdavies said:
yeah i have lots of seeding material from my other tank, think i will replace the carbon with gravel from that tank.
I have filled my old tank with all the decorations i have aswell so when i put them in the new one ill have a bigger head start.

It would be better IMO if you doubled up on media and put the gravel in a new unwashed. Nylon hose foot or knee high. Or if you don't mind inter mingling the gravel in your new tank, just mix it in. I hope this helps you. Keep us posted on your progress if you can please

tmdavies said:
yeah i have put extra media in my old one aswell. will keep you posted

I meant to put the extra media in you new one to take up the space left behind by the carbon. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Then the beneficial bacteria will have a bigger home to attach themselves to when they multiply.

yeah i have extra media in my old tank to take out and add into the new filter when i get it up and running

tmdavies said:
yeah i have extra media in my old tank to take out and add into the new filter when i get it up and running

Ok I was just making sure that I was helping and not hindering

Make that day 89. I'm going crazy here.

Ammonia 3 to 3.5 ppm (dosing with Austin's Clear Ammonia)
Nitrite over 5 ppm (it was around 3 ppm 2 days ago)
Nitrate I believe between 40 and 80 (It's stop sign red)
PH 7.8 (should I be lowering this?)
Temp 84 F
29 Gal Freshwater, filled with tap water (from well, not public water)
No carbon
Aquaclear 50 with floss media and 2 ceramic bio bags.
A pinch of flake food once per week.
Plenty of aeration.

The ammonia conversion is happening but extremely slowly. I can't tell a difference from day to day on the tests, but over the course of a few days I can see the ammonia dropped about 1 ppm. The water is mildly to moderately cloudy, but I can def. see through the tank. It has been like this for about a week.

Videonut85 said:
Make that day 89. I'm going crazy here.

Ammonia 3 to 3.5 ppm (dosing with Austin's Clear Ammonia)
Nitrite over 5 ppm (it was around 3 ppm 2 days ago)
Nitrate I believe between 40 and 80 (It's stop sign red)
PH 7.8 (should I be lowering this?)
Temp 84 F
29 Gal Freshwater, filled with tap water (from well, not public water)
No carbon
Aquaclear 50 with floss media and 2 ceramic bio bags.
A pinch of flake food once per week.
Plenty of aeration.

The ammonia conversion is happening but extremely slowly. I can't tell a difference from day to day on the tests, but over the course of a few days I can see the ammonia dropped about 1 ppm. The water is mildly to moderately cloudy, but I can def. see through the tank. It has been like this for about a week.

Ammo's good, spikes of no2 and no3 are good, pH is good, temperature is good.

Are you using a water conditioner? Even though you're on a well and there is no chlorine, a water conditioner like Seachem Prime is still a good idea because it neutralizes heavy metals and other compounds that could be putting the breaks on the cycle.

If the nitrIte is above 5, I'd do around a 50% water change and use a conditioner (sorry if you said you already are ). I know that brand of ammonia is good...but it may be worth checking to make sure there is no tiny print that says it contains anything other than ammonia and water. I assume there cam be different versions of the same brand.

Ammo's good, spikes of no2 and no3 are good, pH is good, temperature is good.

Are you using a water conditioner? Even though you're on a well and there is no chlorine, a water conditioner like Seachem Prime is still a good idea because it neutralizes heavy metals and other compounds that could be putting the breaks on the cycle.

If the nitrIte is above 5, I'd do around a 50% water change and use a conditioner (sorry if you said you already are ). I know that brand of ammonia is good...but it may be worth checking to make sure there is no tiny print that says it contains anything other than ammonia and water. I assume there cam be different versions of the same brand.

I looked the bottle over again, nothing to indicate it's anything but pure ammonia, and it does pass the shake test. I will do a 50% water change.

I'll have to hit the LFS over the weekend and grab some seachem.

Sadly, I feel like I've lost hope with the tank. I used to be real excited about bringing home the fishies and couldn't wait for the tank to cycle. After weeks and weeks of a tank sitting empty, my enthusiasm is gone. I have people asking how the tank is going and I don't know what to tell them. The wife is giving me looks and wonders why the tank is sitting there empty. I really hope seachem is the magic cure for my tank.

Actually, now that I thought of it, I got this stuff with the tank kit I bought. It's from Aqueon just called water conditioner. Neutralizes chlorine and chloramine. Detoxifies heavy metals ammonia and other elements released from fish waste.

Would this work just as well or similarly?

Yeah, that stuff is fine as long as you used the proper dose when you set it up. Did you add it in initially? When's the last time you did a water change? If it's been a long time, the cycle is probably just stalled from super high no2 and no3. I'd say a 50-60 pwc with conditioned, same temp water may be all you need to get moving.

Yeah, that stuff is fine as long as you used the proper dose when you set it up. Did you add it in initially? When's the last time you did a water change? If it's been a long time, the cycle is probably just stalled from super high no2 and no3. I'd say a 50-60 pwc with conditioned, same temp water may be all you need to get moving.

I never used it in the first place, as it seemed to be for when you put the fish in the tank based on the description. I did a partial water change (about 10% 2 days ago.) The last water change before that was 3 weeks ago I did a 75 to 80% water change.

Back
Top Bottom