Dead angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so two week ago a went to the LFS and got two angel fish and a neon blue dwarf gourami. I let the bags sit in the tank for 25min before putting them in the tank. After putting them in one of the angel fish dropped to the bottom of the tank and died by the end of the day the other one was on the bottom of the tank dying. Went back to the tank the next day and it seemed fine well he lasted two week and the other angel died too. Don't know what happen any help?'j

Did you add any water from the tank to the bag? Did the angel look ok in the bag? Was everything ok in the other tank?

Yes after 20 mins I put about a cup of tank water in the bag and let sit for 10 mins then put the in the tank. The fish seemed fine in the bag the dwarf gourami is doing great. I know my water is very hard the ammonia-0 nitrites-0 nitrates-20

Well, my best guess is that the angels might not have been in the best health when you picked them up. If they were new at the store, they could have been rather stressed from shipping. So, in this case, they would have needed a bit more acclimation time with the newer water. Honestly, that is exactly how I pretty much always acclimate fish. I try to add water to the floating bag a couple of time, but sometimes I also just cut and drop mine (depending on the species) and I have never lost one doing it this way. So, I think you might have just gotten some less than ideal angels this time. I doubt anything is wrong with your water since the dg is fine, and they are known to be a somewhat sensitive fish. How big were the angels in question? I definitely have better luck with larger angels. The very small ones are often very frail (especially when they are just the random ones from pet stores).

They were good size ones about the size of if silver dollar.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390773372.340399.jpg this is a pic of the one that made it two weeks.this was taken about a week after I got it

Well, it certainly looks OK. My best guess is still that it was a fluke and these exact fish were over sensitive for some reason. You are certainly not the first fish keeper to have sudden death after purchase. Try a longer acclimation process with angels in the future where you drip acclimate, or at least add water a few times to the bag, not just once. That might help to avoid this happening in the future.

Last edited:
Wats your water temp? How far was drive from lfs to tank, how long was the light left off for after release

Back
Top Bottom