Dead betta: finding cause of death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cammywammy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today my betta died in my 20 gallon. I've had him for over two years. Only thing new is I added some ghost shrimp. He began developing cloudy eyes a week ago but that shortly went away:( this fish was a present from my ex-girlfriend. Makes me very sad because I thought I would have him for many more years.

About to do a complete water test will post momentarily. Standby.

For now RIP Leo :'(

Edit: seems to be shredding of the fins, this is either from the current of the filters or the deterioration of the fish.

Here is a picture of his stomach, which looks odd to me.

Attachments

• image-71423664.jpg
    image-71423664.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image-740552582.jpg
    image-740552582.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 65
RIP Leo! I'm very sorry he passed. It may be his age, and in a way he was lucky not to have suffered for a long time

Sorry, try not to feel guilty just remember the best memories again :)

I don't understand what happened :( he never liked filters. Ever since I received him his been in a nice 10 gallon or the 20 gallon he was last in. No other fish died 3 ghost shrimp are missing and there is no way he was injured by the filter because his body has no scratches or any damage. Months ago while cleaning the filter when he was in my 10 gallon he was sucked up the filter intake that didn't have slits but I got him out safely and he recovered.

I tested the water everything is perfect.

pH: 7.6
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia:0
Nitrate: 3-5ppm

I am tempted to do autopsy on my betta to find out if it ate a ghost shrimp.

I figured he died from old age he is at least 3 years+

He may have, I heard of a scooter blenny autopsy that revealed a large shell lodged in his throat.

Back
Top Bottom