Dead fish: how to use it in a smart way to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latvian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok guys, I had a guppy in a 3 gallon cylindrical tank that died today (on a Christmas eve!) :(. I totally underestimated the ammonia risk thinking that the living gravel that I bought was enough to be used as a bio-filter! (Refer to my original post about that aquarium).

Now the question is: is it possible to use that dead Guppy as a source of ammonia to cycle the tank? Any advice tips on how to start from here?

Thanks in advance :(

I personally wouldnt. You don't know if there were any parasites or diseases that the guppy was carrying that you could transfer to the new tank. Instead I would use a cocktail shrimp to do it if you cant get your hands on ammonia.

I personally wouldnt. You don't know if there were any parasites or diseases that the guppy was carrying that you could transfer to the new tank. Instead I would use a cocktail shrimp to do it if you cant get your hands on ammonia.

Totally +1 and then some. The risk vs reward is not worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I used to cycle my larger tanks (40g+) with a small goldfish from my pond.. But honestly I wouldn't try with a dead fish.. As said, the risk is too great! You don't want diseases transferred to new fish! :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Would the risk between a dead shrimp and a dead fish be that great though?? Assuming the fish died from poor water chemistry.

I was always taught: if it's dead or dying, take it out of the tank and isolate/get rid of the fish..

Sent per three-eyed raven..

True but for cycling a tank though I would of thought the bacteria digesting a shrimp or a fish would be pretty similar? So if the fish just died of bad water chemistry why not just use that? I'm not suggesting it practically for fish in cycling but in theory I don't see why a disease free fish would not achieve the same effect as a shrimp in a fishless cycle.

Your Tank

Ok guys, I had a guppy in a 3 gallon cylindrical tank that died today (on a Christmas eve!) :(. I totally underestimated the ammonia risk thinking that the living gravel that I bought was enough to be used as a bio-filter! (Refer to my original post about that aquarium).

Now the question is: is it possible to use that dead Guppy as a source of ammonia to cycle the tank? Any advice tips on how to start from here?

Thanks in advance :(

Hello lat...

A three gallon tank isn't really practical. As you've witnessed, the water chemistry can foul quickly and kill the fish. If you're serious about the water keeping hobby, then get a 30 gallon tank, cycle it with some hardy fish and give yourself a better chance for success.

B

Hello lat...

A three gallon tank isn't really practical. As you've witnessed, the water chemistry can foul quickly and kill the fish. If you're serious about the water keeping hobby, then get a 30 gallon tank, cycle it with some hardy fish and give yourself a better chance for success.

B

That is indeed a good point.

Totally agree with BB. The bigger the tank the easier it is to keep stable. Some beginners however start with a small tank, fail and give up. 30g is the smallest I would recommend . My quarantine tank is small and when in use has to be monitored regularly even though I've been keeping fish for toooooo many years.
Go big!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you all for the great advice and replies.

The aquarium was a gift to my 4-years old son so I didn't want to disappoint him and throw it away or replace it with something else. :)

The dead fish has been removed and the water has been fully changed. Now I am changing the water every other day and watching the fish carefully for any odd behavior.

Back
Top Bottom