Dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam duncan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 45 gallon planted tank with a penn place Cascade 1000 canister filter. The tank has been up and running for about four years now and was stocked with 15 cochus blue tetras, 6 peacock gudgeon and 1 electric blue ram. I do weekly water change of 20% with a monthly water change of about 40% as well as weekly tests using the api master kit. The tank is kept at 77.5°.

About a week ago I noticed that one of the tetras had dropsy. I added some aquarium salt to the tank and after a couple days of the dropsy worsing I removed the fish and placed it in my turtle tank. I do this since in my experience dropsy in such small fish is always fatal and in my opinion being eaten by a turtle is better than suffering a slow death. The next day I found another dead tetra and gudgeon. I did water test and found that I had a large nitrate spike. I did daily 20% water changes. After 3 days there was still a large amount of nitrate. I did a large water change of 60% and added some zeolite to the filter.

I woke up this morning to find all of my tetras dead and the rest near the surface gasping. I removed the fish and added them to my 75 gallon aquarium. I removed the dead fish and tested my water. All water parameters are perfect.

I'm at a complete loss as to what killed my fish. Can anyone give me some ideas.

Salt is typically not helpful in a typical freshwater tank. It can be useful in a treatment tank for parasites and dropsy at a high concentration for a few minutes, but not as a general additive. I’m guessing the salt killed the neons.

Really? I've used before and I used it before several water changes. I just can't see how the salt used a week ago would kill off the majority of the tank. The only thing that I had done different was the zeolite the day prior.

Oh, a week ago? Then salt is probably not the issue. But I stand by my statement that salt in a freshwater tank is not helpful. I looked up the research by professional fish breeders and they say salt in a freshwater tank has no use, although a little might not hurt. Maybe the zeolite? I don't know about that.

Back
Top Bottom