Dead johanni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icathal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Unfortunately my blue boy has died, why I do not know!
I've not had any aggression issues, water conditions seem reasonable and he was a happy camper! He was however moving all the gravel out of his pad and I wonder could he of choked on a piece of gravel?

Attachments

• image-4237715562.jpg
    image-4237715562.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image-400793664.jpg
    image-400793664.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3329053084.jpg
    image-3329053084.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 82
Those nitrates dont look too good man, Get busy on some waterchanges.. Sry to hear u lost ur buddy... My guess is the nitrates caused his death :-/

Your niTRATES are to high they need to be down around 20 or soo, but under 40 to me they look to be 60. So water changes it is to get that down and to keep it down.
To answer your question about gravel yes it can happen. I have read on many things if using gravel it need to be big enough that it wont fit in their mouths.

My guess is the nitrates caused his death :-/

High nitrates even at levels of 80-120ppm will NOT kill fish, I agree more water changes are needed but that's not what killed your fish.

You never mentioned your tank size or current stock, but with mbuna deaths 8 times out of 10 it's aggression whether your seeing it or not when everything else is in line.

Last edited:
Either way nitrates
Definatly are not a good thing, and as for gravel, it has happened to me with a goldfish once. Possible and mbuna
Like dig with their mouths and stuff so it can happen. I use sand with my
Mbuna so i havent seen any mbuna die from it but im sure it happens

HUKIT said:
High nitrates even at levels of 80-120ppm will NOT kill fish, I agree more water changes are needed but that's not what killed your fish.

You never mentioned your tank size or current stock, but with mbuna deaths 8 times out of 10 it's aggression whether your seeing it or not when everything else is in line.

I have a 200ltr tank, current stock is 3 convicts, 2 jewels and a striped Dora catfish, I know the mix is wrong but they really don't bother with each other! I fairly sure my jewels are of the same sex so if I'm going to add to my stock it will prob be more jewels!
Starting 50% water changes for a few days and will continue with 25% changes for as long as needed, sound ok?

Jacobsal91 said:
Either way nitrates
Definatly are not a good thing, and as for gravel, it has happened to me with a goldfish once. Possible and mbuna
Like dig with their mouths and stuff so it can happen. I use sand with my
Mbuna so i havent seen any mbuna die from it but im sure it happens

Having read many posts about sand on here and seen the pics, I will be changing to sand in the near future! Thanks!

Malawi Freak said:
Your convicts probably killed him. Why were you mixing an African with SA

Moved my jewels to another tank until I decide what to do with my convicts and wouldn't ya know it during the night convict laid eggs!

icathal said:
Moved my jewels to another tank until I decide what to do with my convicts and wouldn't ya know it during the night convict laid eggs!

This is even more evidence that the convicts most likely killed the johanni. Preparing for breeding that get extremely aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom