Dead leafs on bottom of tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When dry I guess they would last a year or so as long as they do not get damp but when wet they say around a month until they fully decompose in the tank. I have read kuhli loaches are one of the many fish which love these leaves and although breeding is rare with kuhlis these supposedly help with that too!

Cool, those will be added to my "to buy" list.

Getting darker and darker il upload a pic tomorrow. Hoping for black black water lol.

Looks like you got yours from the same seller I did! Same packaging and leaf size. I use them in my betta tanks and I love them. Gives the water a nice tint and the antifungal properties are good to have in my spawning tank.

I only use one large leaf at a time in my 56 gallon tank, and rip a piece off for the 10 gallons. More wont hurt but I find one is enough to give the water a light tint and I can stretch the leaves out longer that way. I replace it every 2-3 weeks.

Looks like you got yours from the same seller I did! Same packaging and leaf size. I use them in my betta tanks and I love them. Gives the water a nice tint and the antifungal properties are good to have in my spawning tank.

I only use one large leaf at a time in my 56 gallon tank, and rip a piece off for the 10 gallons. More wont hurt but I find one is enough to give the water a light tint and I can stretch the leaves out longer that way. I replace it every 2-3 weeks.

Wow my tank is a 55 and I chucked 20 in I think I'm gunna wake up to a black tank for sure tomorrow that's exactly what I want lol :) I have heard a lot of good about them but for me all I care about is the tinted water and the natural look of leaf litter on the bottom of the tank il upload a pic tomorrow once they've sank and tinted the water :) how long does it take for the water to fully colour up like all the tannins/ majority of tannins to be released into the tank???

I usually notice a bit of color a few hours after I put a leaf in and it reaches the full amount of color in a day or two. I don't use carbon or Purigen so the color stays that way until I change some water. Sometimes I put a new one in after each water change but I usually wait until the leaf has disintegrated and just don't have the water as dark. It does keep leaching until it's gone but not as much as when it is fresh.

I usually notice a bit of color a few hours after I put a leaf in and it reaches the full amount of color in a day or two. I don't use carbon or Purigen so the color stays that way until I change some water. Sometimes I put a new one in after each water change but I usually wait until the leaf has disintegrated and just don't have the water as dark. It does keep leaching until it's gone but not as much as when it is fresh.

Lovely thanks for the info looking forward to going home and seeing the difference tomorrow :) sorry for going on (ima bit like an excited puppy) but how dark do you think your tank would be with 20 leaves on it???

Joeysdiscus said:
Lovely thanks for the info looking forward to going home and seeing the difference tomorrow :) sorry for going on (ima bit like an excited puppy) but how dark do you think your tank would be with 20 leaves on it???

With half a leaf it goes a weak tea color, kind of yellowish. I actually went ahead and put a whole one in today, so I'll see how that goes. I would imagine with 20 it would probably look like a nice glass of strong iced tea!

I love the black water look, too.

With half a leaf it goes a weak tea color, kind of yellowish. I actually went ahead and put a whole one in today, so I'll see how that goes. I would imagine with 20 it would probably look like a nice glass of strong iced tea!

I love the black water look, too.

Okay that's it tomorrow we will have a competition who's got the darkest water! Hahahhaa

I use 100 leaves in my 6ft peacock bass fry tank brings out some great colours! Water goes like tea but the fish love it! :)

I use 100 leaves in my 6ft peacock bass fry tank brings out some great colours! Water goes like tea but the fish love it! :)

All but six of the 20 I put in are now only just sank I will upload a pic in around an hour :) waters pretty dark :)

Almond leaves also offer anti bacterial effects on fish. And with the dark water is a great look for a fish tank, my peacock bass fry absolutely love the dark water I wouldn't not use almond leaves now as they are brilliant

With the whole large leaf, my water is nice and tan and all the colors in the fish and the decor just pops! But I'm guessing with the 20 leaves you win the darkest water contest, Joey. This time ;)

So here it is after 24 hours il post a before and after pic but as they have literally only just sank I'm guessing its going to go a lot darker! Anyway here it is what does everybody think???

image-1201233470.jpg

image-1457272202.jpg

I can say from first off I think my fish seem a lot happier and yeah they're colours shine through the tanned water loverly!!! Thanks jimmy for giving me the final push to take the plunge and give them a go!

No problem mate! Sit back and enjoy ! Your tank looks awesome good job! :)

I just got mine a week ago, They are awesome! I put about a thumb size piece with every betta and a whole leaf in my breeder. I can live with the tea colored water and all my boys like it.

So here it is after 24 hours il post a before and after pic but as they have literally only just sank I'm guessing its going to go a lot darker! Anyway here it is what does everybody think???

I can say from first off I think my fish seem a lot happier and yeah they're colours shine through the tanned water loverly!!! Thanks jimmy for giving me the final push to take the plunge and give them a go!

Holy fudge! It made your entire tank just POP love it!

GORGEOUS! Wow, ima gonna have to get me some!

In my opinion these lovely little leaves are the cherry on the cake when it comes to my aquarium! You guys agree or do you think I still can find some room for improvement??? I'm looking at a 180 gallon tank for next year to give the discus all the room they need I'm kinda hoping I can stick with the same sort of scape just on a larger scale what are your thoughts???

In my opinion these lovely little leaves are the cherry on the cake when it comes to my aquarium! You guys agree or do you think I still can find some room for improvement??? I'm looking at a 180 gallon tank for next year to give the discus all the room they need I'm kinda hoping I can stick with the same sort of scape just on a larger scale what are your thoughts???

Any answers???

Joeysdiscus said:

I think it looks great, so I would say stick with the same look in the bigger tank!

Back
Top Bottom