Dealing with ich :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lost a kissing gourami this morning and none of the other three will eat. I am going to put these three, if they last, in a quarantine tank on thursday and just do a complete restart. Can reused plans and decorations hold any types of illnesses?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It did sound a pretty bad outbreak unfortunately.

Drying out / treating as mentioned above means you can re-use. If there is any water with the decorations, etc it is possible ich could transfer with that so you have to give it 10 days still to make sure all gone.

You will always have bacteria and fungus in the water, it's just that usually the fish have their slime coat, scales, etc to protect them. So also having separate gravel vacs, etc between main tank and QT can be useful just in case.

Thanks so much! Quick question, can ich make a fish go blind?

I have lost all but two fish. The two I have left are not eating, running into things, and turning an aweful color. When is the right time to euthanize?

Thanks so much! Quick question, can ich make a fish go blind?

Good question! I'm not sure, I've never had an outbreak that bad. I have heard of blinded fish that still seem to get around ok if that helps (although can't remember the cause being quoted).

Yeah. The poor babies just wont even eat. Im goin to start all pver with this tank but I really really dont want this to happen every time. Im so discouraged :/

Thats my biggest problem. I dont have a test kit. I bought one last week, paid for it but it never made it home from the pet store. I do t know where it ended up and when I explained that to the pet store they basically said too bad. So im waiting for payday thursday :/

Water changes can be the difference between life and death.and do not let a sick fish die in your tank,if possible isolate it before it dies.remove the two I'll kissing gouramis because they'll die

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I only have one tank. Should I go ahead and remove the last two and euthanize?

About two or three inchs... not big at all

I'd say put them in a bucket with the same temp water and fresh water salt if they're the gouramis.they're some instructions on the internet.this might give them some kind of hope of survival.but I highly doubt they'll live to see 3more days

Thats my biggest problem. I dont have a test kit. I bought one last week, paid for it but it never made it home from the pet store. I do t know where it ended up and when I explained that to the pet store they basically said too bad. So im waiting for payday thursday :/

Erk :(

Yeah, try increasing your pwc's. They never hurt (make sure tank and tap temps are close'ish) and will help (with gravel vacs) to remove any free-floating ich.

Will a lfs do one? Sometimes they will do them for free.

I will go ahead and euthanize. Wiyh an empty tank do I just need to start all over?

Kissing gouramis really aren't the best begginer fish also the place you bought them could've been crappy.I say if you want any future fish after this infestation, empty ur tank and thoroughly clean it, cycle the tank and start over but with danios(they're invincible and have tons of character and species)

Just caught the last bit. Either way you will know in three days. If they are just not eating I'm not too stressed about it imo.

*kind* from there you'll be able to grow famiararity with fish and start becoming a pro. When I was about 9 Walmart sold me 2 kissing gouramis in a 3gallon tank.til this day I feel horrid about it.but now I'm running 3 thriving tanks, and a fry tank. So don't get discouraged,you did good by using ur observation skills and getting meds etc.

Thanks! Well two last gouramis were euthanized and tank is 90% empty. I will clean everything REALLY REALLY we
L tomorrow a d fill my 55gal up and try again :/

In the future you can also do a" sorority" a group of female Betta fish. Bettas are pretty mighty fish too.good luck !

How many betas can you put in a 55?

Back
Top Bottom