Debunking fish rumors on Facebook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got to thinking a couple hours ago about this idea that may or may not seem worth it, so I'd like some opinions. I'm still at the drawing board, so any input at all would be great!

I was thinking that once a week or so, I would post on my Facebook some fish rumor, like goldfish living perfectly fine in a 1g bowl, and researching a credible source of information that would contradict this claim and post it up there too, along with maybe my own personal experience.

My thought here is that, a lot of horrible fish advise is basically common knowledge. That is one of the reasons that we tend to have so many new members coming on here and posting their horror story (not knocking newbies, I used to be in that place too). So, if I get the ball rolling with just my small group of friends, maybe someday, one of them passes this information on. If even one fish gets a better life out of this, it's worth all the effort to me.

Obviously these rumors came from somewhere and have traveled by word of mouth. So, why can't good information travel by word of mouth? Talking about it with fish people is great and all, but most people on these forums have at least a basic grasp of how to keep a fish alive. It's the non-fish-keepers that should be informed. And luckily, I have very few friends who have fish.

So, maybe someone else would like to do this too? I know it will most likely have a miniscule effect, but maybe I could get some good knowledge flowing out there.

I think it's worth a shot.

So, what do you guys think?

So... I guess this was a dumb idea. I'll take that from the 42 views and no comments. Thanks.
NO! It's not a dumb idea! I think you should do it! If I was on Facebook more pften I would do the same thing! You could always make a group too. That would be excellent!

Definitely!!! I think it's a great idea! I think it's pretty great that your doing this! I think I will do the same:)

I think it's a great idea, I keep getting told in work, "goldfish will only grow as big as their tank" and when I say they are cruel I'm wrong!!! I'd definitely 'friend' you and share :)

Oh awesome! I was kind of getting worried that no one commented on it. But, I will definitely do this. I just need to get a list together of a bunch of rumors and then start looking for good articles/journals to debunk. Guess I'll start a new thread.

Don't take the lack of replies to heart, this place has fits and starts of activity.

I think it's a great idea, I for one would join up.

Would have to be more than a weekly update to build an audience though.

Here we go!

Debunking Fish Rumors | Facebook

You guys can add me too, if you like. I'll give it a week or so to do the first post. I want to get together a list (in another thread) and maybe some credible sources. Anyone have any particular ones in mind? I have to admit, I do not know of any truly credible source to pull information from. I haven't started looking yet.

Wait, should I make a Page or Group? I made a Page actually...

i think you should make both, but just my honest opinion. maybe we can say something like.... "from all of us here at aquarium advice" every week when we post fish rumors, then have a link to our group? what do you guys think?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom