Deciding what direction to take on my future fish stock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! Recently, my older fish have been dying, so it looks like I'll be bringing in a completely new stock in in the near months. At the moment, my stock is as follows:

3 Bentos Tetras
3 Threadfin Rainbowfish
1 Ram
2 Panda Garra
2 Assassin Snails

The tetras have been slowly dying off over the past couple of months, and the Rainbows have done the same. I'd like my next stock to be both hardier, but interesting. Here is what is was considering for a future stock:

• 10-12 Harlequin Rasboras
• 2 Honey Gourami (male/female pair) or a male Betta
• 6 False Julii/Panda Cory Cats or 6 Kuhli Loaches
• Some Assassin Snails
• 2 Panda Garra
• A small Barb of some type possibly (Hexazon?) in the quantity of 6-8.

In easier to look at terms, I could have a stock like the following:

10 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Panda Garra
2 Honey Gourami or a Betta
6 Panda Cory Cats
4-5 Assassin Snails
6-8 Hexazon Barbs

What do you guys think? Suggestions? By the way, this tank is a 30 gallon long planted. I have alkaline water of around 7.4-7.6 at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gourami over betta imo

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree. What about the Cory Cats vs. the Kuhli Loaches? If I'd get the Cories, I'd try to get one that I've never had before. I've had Panda, Albino (many times), Skunk, and Peppered. Could you think of any that are relatively cheap, good looking, and colorful?

I'd do the loaches over the cories because kuhli loaches are AWESOME. But you should consider dwarf chain loaches as well, they're like the other botiid loaches (clowns, yoyos, etc) but they stay very small, 2 inches or so, and they school more in the midwater than the bottom.

I'd do the loaches over the cories if you have sand

Fishobsessed7

I happen to have fine-grade Eco-Complete, if that would effect anything.

I'd do the loaches over the cories because kuhli loaches are AWESOME. But you should consider dwarf chain loaches as well, they're like the other botiid loaches (clowns, yoyos, etc) but they stay very small, 2 inches or so, and they school more in the midwater than the bottom.

Cool. How much do they usually cost? Are they energetic too? That'd be a nice quality.

Cool. How much do they usually cost? Are they energetic too? That'd be a nice quality.

Very energetic and fun little fish. A lot like their larger relatives in goofy, easygoing personality, and as I mentioned they tend to school midwater as opposed to being bottomdwellers.

I think they can be a little expensive, but I haven't had any in years, so I couldn't say for sure. When I got first got them they were relatively new in the hobby, so they may have dropped significantly in price by now.

Edit: found a place online selling them for $8 each :) not that bad at all.

Last edited:
Very energetic and fun little fish. A lot like their larger relatives in goofy, easygoing personality, and as I mentioned they tend to school midwater as opposed to being bottomdwellers.

I think they can be a little expensive, but I haven't had any in years, so I couldn't say for sure. When I got first got them they were relatively new in the hobby, so they may have dropped significantly in price by now.

Edit: found a place online selling them for $8 each :) not that bad at all.

I might just get some then. Either them or the Kuhlis. I'd have a pure Asian tank then. Well, besides the plants.

I might just get some then. Either them or the Kuhlis. I'd have a pure Asian tank then. Well, besides the plants.

Personally I'd get both... but I'm just a loach addict :) A pure asian tank is a cool idea though!

Sini -
1. Any thoughts on kuhli loaches and regular or fine grain EcoComplete? To sharp or coarse for them?
2. Are open top tanks and kuhli loaches a bad combination?
3. Do they prefer low light? Would bright light be okay as long as they have plenty of cover?

Back
Top Bottom