Deep-colored GBR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylanuc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I've been using this forum for a couple months for advice and figured I should finally register because now I'm stumped. I bought a male German blue ram online, and it arrived healthy today. But... It doesn't look like a gbr. I've never owned a gbr (or any cichlid) before, and I've only been serious with fish keeping for a couple months, so maybe this is just a phenomena I'm unfamiliar with. From my research, gbr's are supposed to be yellow/white with florescent blue and black accents. This one is basically purple with blue accents at the head. He has great temperament for a community tank, though he isn't too active and prefers the back of the tank. He hasn't explored much, just swam across the tank a couple times in the past 6 hours. Could he be sick/stressed? I have the tank lights off while he gets used to the surroundings but I'll turn them on if you guys really want a picture.

Thank you,
Dylan

Attachments

• 20151001_221924.jpg
    20151001_221924.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20151001_221958.jpg
    20151001_221958.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Looks like w normal male GBR to me

You have him over a dark substrate, which will make him darker, plus him being new means he's still probably stressed and hasn't settled in all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have black sand and multiple GBR, none have every gotten that dark in color

Caleb

Good looking GBR.
Lot more red then many show , possibly from dark sub?
I have never kept mine over dark sub so can't say.

Looks healthy.
May take a few days to settle in.
They really prefer(demand in fish language ) temps of 80+.
What temp is the tank?

Stressed and black sand together. He is blending in. Give it some time add some lighter colored rocks to off set the black sand. I had firemouths do the same thing when I changed the substrate to black.

Water is 76-78 F at all times. He's now a little brighter and that orange by the head is more prominent. Still looks totally different from what I think a gbr is supposed to look like though

I won't ever use black sand again as it darkens the fish far to much. Here is an example of one of my female festae's over a few days.

27198-albums1492-picture36543.jpg

Within an hour.
27198-albums1492-picture37020.jpg

Two days later(on eggs).

27198-albums1492-picture38284.jpg

Final coloration.

27198-albums1492-picture58303.jpg

To answer your question the fish looks normal but extremely stressed.

Back
Top Bottom