Deep SAnd Bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drillsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im really confused on this, I researched this and still confused.

I understand that you need between 4-6 inches of Sand

Now some people say not to use borrowing creatures (nassarius snails, cucumbers, brittle stars)

So whats the proper procedure on getting a good DSB? I have a 55gal by the way..

I heard also to get a detrivore kit from inland aquatics are they worth it?

There are many conflicting opinions on the DSB. The way I understand it is, the true DSB is 5" and is old school. Apparently it caused more problems than it helped. I believe the standard for a DSB now is 3". Mine is 3" and that's plenty deep enough for nassarius to burrow down into. I have no experience with cucumbers so I can't comment on them. Brittles aren't effected by a sand bed either way but the sand sifting star is. The issue with this star isn't so much depth as it is fauna. It needs a tank big enough, with enough sand to support it's constantly feeding nature.
There are shallow sand beds as well and this is what I have in my seahorse tank. This is low maintenance and I just give it a quick stir from time to time when I do water changes.

you should stay away from sand sifting stars though corect for a dsb?

Personally, I would say yes. They have a dismal survival record unless it's a very very large system. Not something the typical hobbiest would have. (Except for Brenden and even then, I'd be hesitant to try one)

The way I understand it is, the true DSB is 5" and is old school. Apparently it caused more problems than it helped.
Cindy, what do base this on?
I have not seen anything to contradict a DSB being a minimum of 3" and generally recommended at 4"-6".

The problems that occur appear to be based on not having enough enough sand stirrers to keep the upper layers sifted.

Cmor,
I only base it on what I've been told. That is why I said there is conflicting opinions on it. If I'm remembering right, it has to do with the 5-6" beds getting dead pockets/black sand and causing sand bed crashes. And, although I can't remember word for word, I believe it was mentioned at a Calfo seminar that a 3" sand bed is a good depth. If it's working for you, that's great. I'm not sure if it's documented somewhere since I'm only going from memory though I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Here is a decent article on DSB's that may help as well. It talks about 3" beds and well as 6-7" beds and how/when both should be used. HTH
http://wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm

Cucumbers do not dig they just sift the top layer so there no problems. the SS star should only be in larger systems. I have had one for about 2.5 years in my 125 and he is still doing fine. It was another LFS buy, there fine you can have 2 or 3 in a 125 8O 8O Now I know better..
I like the look of a shallow SB over the DSB, I have around 3" in my reef and 4" in my fowlr and all is fine. I do not like the look of the DSB when it starts getting the denitrification areas going, black dark green IMO looks like crap. JMO

drillsar said:
So a 3" will be fine?

A 3" sandbed is fine.
As you can see, it's a matter of preference. I prefer a 3" sandbed but that doesn't make my way any more right than the guy with a 6" sandbed. It just makes me more cautious. :)
And really, I have to agree with seaham, the very deep beds, in my opinion, aren't as nice to look at.

Hmm.
Well, it seems to me what they offer is things you would normally get in time anyway. All very common. You could get the same results from some quality liverock, and let that seed your sandbed over time. I'm not sure I'd be sold on it but that's up to you.

I got a brittle star today Im not sure what he is hes like redish, medium size his he ok my LFS said he was, I also got 2 scarlet reef hermits.

Yeah, there is only one brittle star that I know of that is a threat and that's the green one. And even then, it's a toss up, some bad some good. If it's reddish, likely it's fine and a nice addition to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom