Degassing tap water quickly as I change water. Questions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambizro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been facing a problem since I moved in october. My tap water is saturated with condense gas which is release when enters the tank. It currently slight agitates my MT on occasion when I do a large water change. I would like to relieve this as much as possible.

Without going to the extreme of setting up a holding drum for water and aging it is there another way?

I been using a 5micron filter sock at the end of my fill hose which has some good effect but its not a solid enough solution to the problem.

I am thinking of buying an air pump and hooking up some air stones to run full blast when filling up the tank to really mix things up quickly to aid in off gassing super quick. Do you guys think this could work as a solution?

Small scale I have filled up a small mason jar and shook it up like crazy for less then a min and was able to almost fully degas it. So i am thinking the air stones with a good size pump could work.

If i go this route which kind of air pump and stones should I buy. I have never bought this type of stuff since being in the hobby not sure if there is some recommended products.

I would be removing the stones and unplugging the air pump when done so its not something I will be running on going.

Thanks in advance

A medium to large basic air pump, plastic tubing and a bubble wand should accelerate the exchange of gases. Your apparently over oxygenated tap water probably will have little if any effect on your fish.

Back
Top Bottom