Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Erk, back at work.

I think I will have to start again with it. Will let it get a bit better if I can. The plants have been looking off for several weeks, maybe going away and having less ferts dosing and the CO2 bottle running low was the final straw. I find it loves high light and high potassium dosing but is probably the fussiest plant in the tank. Back to a steady program of light, ferts and CO2.

I'll test nitrates at end of week and see what it says. Generally I know API test kits aren't great but I've always found the answer made sense. Tap water of 0 and tank around 40 to 80 with no plants. I looked back and had been running around 20ppm nitrates planted, then recently in the last few months it dropped down to 5ppm to 10ppm. It is possible the reading is false, will see if nitrates lift with dosing.

They may well be accurate. I dunno. Just going off what I have read really. In my experience basing my daily aquarium practices around test kit readings has led me to nothing but anguish. [emoji23]

They may well be accurate. I dunno. Just going off what I have read really. In my experience basing my daily aquarium practices around test kit readings has led me to nothing but anguish. [emoji23]

I agree I think on accuracy - I suspect they are very bad. The kh test kit for the pool has 3 dropper bottles. The one for the tank is one dropper bottle (haven't got around to comparing both tests really yet).

I just find the relative change is consistent. I do a canister filter clean and nitrates drop, remove a few buckets of plants and it lifts or holds steady.

But I've heard bad stories of new and old test kits not comparing even when old bottle not expired :( So it's a good point, if I'm not seeing any change in nitrates this week I'll be careful not to just keep increasing dose. I guess I should make or buy a type solution I guess.

Tank is pretty much unchanged with new lights. A little bit maybe of extra GSA at depth. No new shoots on hygro. Still got flowers popping up (where does this plant get the energy!). Hope to get some readings later.

New filter working well and CO2 bottle working fine. Water change, internal filter clean and change drop checker solution hopefully today.

Val is spreading out by stealth with shoots from substrate runners every few inches so will have to start trimming that back sometime.

I put some plants too close to the intakes for the CO2 diffusers so have to trim them. The leaves are plastered to the diffuser intake but it's still going strong.

:) Somewhat surprised myself.

Got fed up with driftwood shifting and trying an underwater glue (except tank mostly empty so in air). So far almost stuck my fingers to tank. It seems to set really slow to everything except my fingers.

Filled tank back up. The glue has dried white and more visible than I was expecting so hoping it gets a little algae or something to tone it down.

Next time I'll have more than one packet as could of done a little more while the water level was so low (only had a couple of inches of water in tank).

All fish looked ok this morning. Hoping the plants don't get too upset with me and drop leaves. Usually I find they don't like being out of water for too long and this was a lot of buckets but fingers crossed.

Thanks, I'll try that if it doesn't tone down a bit. Lol, probably lucky I didn't do that. Each week I think a simple clean with a little project - not sure I could handle another tank :)

Curious on what you paid for the Congo tetras

Just trying to remember - the first lot I got through a local guy. At the lfs they were maybe 3 or 4 for $25 (Australian prices). About 1 and a bit inch size. Hardly any colour to males.

The store ones have done well, none lost.

I think here it is as $20 or so as well for large males with colour. Around three inches. I got 13 for $100 or $120 locally that were fully grown and been pretty happy with them.

Very nice colours and have been fine with ferts and CO2 dosing. I find the large ones are flighty otherwise all good.

This morning rushed through a water change and managed to catch the bulb of the CO2 ph probe on the lip of a glass. Just at the right angle to smash it straight away :( So yet another trip for equipment this month. Luckily could just replace the probe.

Also bought more glue as that seems to have worked well. And some more drop checker solution in case the old probe wasn't reading ph correctly and I just had it dialled in to do what I wanted.

Probe connected back up and will check it tonight. Checked it with solutions at ph 7 and 4. Was pretty close, made a very slight change.

Also checked the ph pen which came in at ph of 7 or 7.1 & ph 4.2 or 4.1. I suspect the lower ph reading is definitely slight out for the ph pen but just not worth adjusting it for that low a ph.

Probe connected back up and will check it tonight. Checked it with solutions at ph 7 and 4. Was pretty close, made a very slight change.

Also checked the ph pen which came in at ph of 7 or 7.1 & ph 4.2 or 4.1. I suspect the lower ph reading is definitely slight out for the ph pen but just not worth adjusting it for that low a ph.

Do you keep the pH pen in water when not in use? I think you are supposed to keep it stored in distilled water so the tip doesn't dry out.

Do you keep the pH pen in water when not in use? I think you are supposed to keep it stored in distilled water so the tip doesn't dry out.

Saw your gh test but got to catch up on posts! I've always wondered on that test.

This pen just gets stored in a plastic box and you shake the heck out of it before use. I still find the first reading can over-read (or over-reads compared to everything else lol). I end up taking a couple of readings to let it settle. Probably doesn't help I use I only a few times a month.

The ph probe I have to keep wet and treat with a cleaner / buffer solution every month or so. Apparently they can last quite a few years but only rated for 18 months I think. Was $40 to replace.

Apart from the probe, tank seems to be settling down. The val has broken out on the left side and I think makes a good contest to stem plants.

Going away for 3 days this week so should get a nitrate reading tonight.

Ur tanks is always crystal clear. Looking good.

Thanks! Must admit I usually get photos in morning when filters have been running all night.

The Java ferns are getting a little big. Yoyo loaches are fine getting through it. The bn catfish are getting a work-out.

Getting a bit more algae on glass with new bulbs. So far no real problem.

Been thinking about pulling the lot out and doing something with large driftwood branches / roots and maybe attaching plants. Still thinking on that one.

Back
Top Bottom