Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are they carrying the substrate over the ocean with a sea turtle, then by land with a tortoise (hehe)? Joking. :eek:

In reading about some nano aquascapes in the interest of shrimp which I know you enjoy (and a bit off topic since this is about the 150G)...'

Interesting thing I read about last night is Colorado sand from ADA... red highlights in the sand, used to compliment the green in the plantings. Does that mean they really got it from near me, because I would like to get some basically free sand from the river, instead of pay $40 for it.

Just guessing that in your parts, you have red soil and sand for the areas somewhere? You can also collect sand for tanks maybe somewhere.

Obviously not the same as Flourite but interesting all the same using our own resources. Since you mentioned the substrate. Iron rich soil, and sand maybe available for free!

Maybe some free clay???

********What did I see you already got the Flourite? That delivery sounds more like a jet plane now! lol!

Hopeful! Our post is so slow. Especially from out of country. Crazy isn’t it - if you knew the right spot, could just get it out of ground. My house is on a busy street so just fingers crossed. It might even be still to be delivered - delivered here means we got the right city :)

It’s here!! Boxed at door. Geez, I wish they would put it out of sight of road.

Aaaannnd I’m looking at wondering on the sand or getting more. It sounds a lot - 14 kilos (28 pounds?) all up but I’m looking at the 4 x 2ft tank and the bags going hmmm. It was a good deal but still crazy expensive- probably hand crafted by turtles :)

155d6831679a3ef8c9796235e63a06a8.jpg

7318d780aaa1016f14260c710b8d53ce.jpg

d524c26ca97de18dc9c6e0d4e0cda718.jpg

4e02f4dede9efb9fde5dd88326cdc8d8.jpg

0690dc252b8610fe21a0859f0aed4d78.jpg

Plants are in (only fell in tank once [emoji51]). Still cloudy, canister filter back on and see how it goes. Only seem to have lost one tiger barb - jumped out sigh.

Bought more substrate so literally about $350 of substrate in there.

And spent same on plants yesterday I reckon. There is a $75 sword of good size completely hidden up back (hope it takes off!).

More aponogetons since they did ok last time. Other swords and crypts and some red stem plants. Shifted bolbitis to front. Swords and aponogetons at back. Java fern sitting in a bucket mostly - likely for compost. I put some in tank but no room really.

And hopefully that’s it with just a little space left for random auction impulse buys.

I still have the planter boxes that can be attached to glass tank wall so might try buce again if ever shows up at auction

Hmmm... was getting sad thinking of buying another bag of substrate for a new shrimp tank build... for $20, lol.

Seriously thinking of going over to the local river now. hahaha.

Well sounds like a great tank full of plants and substrate now! But as long as you leave a little room for the auctions stuff - the important great bargains and good finds category of aquarium keeping. :brows:

The substrate is looking very nice in there.

It’s great substrate I must say - washed it a bit and added seachem clarity but has cleared quite quickly. Let me know on the river sand :)

Only one stem plant floating so looking good there. Looks like was a bit rough on lotus so just fingers crossed (bucket water was getting freezing reaching in for plants).

Lotus has lost two leaves (snapped stem I think) - hoping it settles in. Not sure on spot now but not game to shift it.

Lotus plant looking more happy. Reading lots of online text where it takes over a tank - hoping this one can have a root system under Anubias / front of tank and the leaves should be good shade / contrast.

Maybe gentle guiding into the areas you prefer it to go when it is water changing time, and root tabs if you use them, farther towards the areas you want the roots to grow.

One thing I saw not long ago (can't recall who said it) was trimming away long leaves breaching the top of the tank, to keep them growing shorter leaves, or maybe they are shorter leaves because you don't let them get that long. :)

Not expecting much (but hopeful)! Sword, Anubias and aponogeton crispus have flower buds. The flower stem growth on the aponogeton is phenomenal - at least an inch or two a day. Flower stems chopped off before planting so it’s got one about 3ft long in just over a week (back bottom of tank to out front top this morning in gap where I feed fish).

Such fun news about your aquatic flower garden. I have none. Planning on doing a better job with some ferts. My Tiger lotus lily just put out a hand full of new leaves they don't look beat up yet so I better hurry up and get the ferts! Also i have 3 apongoton types just replanted one bulb which went dormant and is putting on roots. The other has a couple leaves, and the 3 new ones are growing like weeds.

3 feet long in over a week is really impressive!

Triple congrats on the flowers!

I’ve been trying seachem advance and “think” it has helped. Plants “seem” to be doing better than expected for new substrate but hard to know.

First flower from aponogeton - bit shaky but looks established.

Lotus lost all the long leaves but looks to be going ok near ground level. Be awhile before I have to worry on pruning it :)

e4797ee2575667dc8b62b0ffdeeba5db.jpg

Back
Top Bottom