Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that color gravel. Did you mix it?

It is mixed :) not by design haha

I had to shift several times about three years back and kept just enough gravel to cover base. Intent was to go to discus and plant ferns, etc on driftwood. But geez they are expensive on larger size ones.

So back to angelfish.

Got given a 20 litre bag of white perlite (I think) for planted tanks. But hated colour. Was like a $100 to buy here though so had to keep it :)

Um I think bags of laterite and other stuff got added. Black gravel from last years swap mart.

Then quite a few bags of seachem flourite (red and black I think varieties). Got the colour a bit more decent for me.

And picked up two buckets of shells at swap mart today so planning to just add a few kilo’s sprinkled in as I find it a handy buffer.

All planned really :)

I like the seachem flourite although not much choice here. It’s ‘reasonably’ cheap and doesn’t give me any problems putting plants in.

Could use a few more bags of something but surprisingly nothing at swap mart.

The tank is looking good. So strange to see so much tank bottom and back, lol! Exciting to have meet ups and sales!

We can't have so many people together right now still and have to use a band.us connect up for fish sales and trading. We did set a tentative meeting for the BIG auction in October - Even the location where we normally had meetings are not taking reservations for groups to get together.

Soon I think. Our monthly meetings are now online at least. People from all over the world, once the little problems of sound and video from far away countries gets figured out it will be really great! And then get to meet in person!

Dug out the energy meter and ended asking for help on FB. Plan to have another crack at setting it up tonight to see how much used in a day (fingers crossed!).

Also have to restart one of the tunz powerheads. Usual one. Intakes a bit blocked as well.

This was our first meeting in almost a year and couldn’t believe we had to close early due to a snap lockdown this week.

Native ninja shrimp sold really well at auction (I should shift mine to a larger tank - was eyeing off a good deal). :)

So far it looks like 1 kWh for 12 hours so roughly $200 for year (or say 15% of power bill). Very rough calc’s.

That’s not really including heaters over winter for a 4ft 500 litre tank.

It is a bit bling though with one canister filter, one internal filter, two heaters, two tunze CO2 diffusers, ph controller for CO2, quad t5ho and nemo led light. Lighting has been cut back but guess it adds up.

Found this photo from late 2017. Blast from the past [emoji4]

Looked great but was heaps of work pruning each week.

Attachments

• IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 24
Replanted some plants that came out, fixed CO2 diffuser yet again, clean filter and water change. Hopefully all good for a bit.

Also added the three pieces of driftwood and glued together. And added a few handfuls of shells to buffer kh. I picked up a 5 gallon container of shells at swap mart which will be way more than I need.

Mystery snails seem more mobile.

Did you have to weigh the driftwood down?

Luckily all hardwood so just soaked in a bucket for few days and into tank. Nothing very fancy.

I missed some 3 ft pieces of driftwood getting too late to swap mart (same cheap hardwood from bush somewhere but looked really good cleaned up). Probably for best as would of bought more than I sold :)

The guy with a tempting deal on tank, stand and few other bits decided to keep it. Still tempted to get something as ninja shrimp sold very well (amazing really as not very colourful, quite small and adept at hiding). But can probably sell for about $25 a bag for very little work. I’ve still got the 5 gallon tank going of them but kind of got a spot for 20 gallon tank to swap to. I say kind of as would mean ditching the kitchen bench high chairs :) I rarely use them but ...

Was looking at getting a powerhead for a pump to speed up draining water. Reckon with that I could do another large tank easily.

Was looking at getting a powerhead for a pump to speed up draining water. Reckon with that I could do another large tank easily.
Haha! I use a 750gph power head to drain water in my 100, 125 and 215g. Not every time, but I alternate weekly doing gravel vac and then just a water change only. Sure makes it nice

questions about your mystery snail.
How old is it?(in time from bought to pictured)
How long did it take to reach full growth from time bought?
How big is that snail?

It’s only about a year old I think after talking with the guy I got it from. Maybe older - I’m the third owner [emoji4] about an inch long.

Although something has been at the plants so they might get banished to tetra tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom