Demon cichlid!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliGee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for some advice!

I have a well established cichlid tank with a wide variety of Africans between 1.5" and 5". I have never had issues introducing new fish of any size. Well, today, I introduced a large (4.5") blood parrot. My largest fish, a Red Jewel cichlid, has decided he pretty much wants this guy dead. The poor parrot barely has a tail left. He's extremely submissive and refuses to fight back. I reorganized the entire tank but that hasn't seemed to help with his territory issues. Any advice??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have already rearranged the tank to no avail there's not much to be done. You will just have to remove one of them

Caleb

Looking for some advice!

I have a well established cichlid tank with a wide variety of Africans between 1.5" and 5". I have never had issues introducing new fish of any size. Well, today, I introduced a large (4.5") blood parrot. My largest fish, a Red Jewel cichlid, has decided he pretty much wants this guy dead. The poor parrot barely has a tail left. He's extremely submissive and refuses to fight back. I reorganized the entire tank but that hasn't seemed to help with his territory issues. Any advice??

Blood parrots are deformed from hybridization and lack the ability to properly close their mouths, being forced to rely on their pharyngeal teeth to chew food. These are useless for defensive maneuvers, therefore making them easily beaten up. I would suggest rehoming the blood parrot, and not adding another one

Everything Freakgecko said plus they really don't belong in an African tank.

I agree with the others but that being said they are personable fish and make good wet pets in a solo tank if you have another tank handy.

They don't belong in any tank lol

Another thread that was just asking for help... Plagued by hybrid haters...
The part about them not being able to swim and stuff is fine, but IMO this was unwarranted... Why cant people just have fish that they want... Peer pressure is basically what this is... That or "discrimination" (which is a strong word for this).

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hybrid argument aside any fish you add to a African tank needs to be able to defend itself otherwise he will just be killed

Hybrid argument aside any fish you add to a African tank needs to be able to defend itself otherwise he will just be killed

This i agree with

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

As already mentioned by freakgecko with great detail and everyone else you just cannot put blood parrots with African cichlids, (incase you weren't aware, a blood parrot is a hybrid composed of south and central american cichlids combined.) They have no place with Malawi cichlids. Truthfully neither does the jewel cichlid, but that's a different discussion.

Back
Top Bottom