Dempsey or Terror...Cant 't Decide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsblood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I decided I wanted to do a single larger fish in my 60g. I have narrowed it down to the Dempsey and the Green Terror but they are both so pretty I can't decide. I wish I could have both...maybe someday. I will be starting with a juvenile. I am leaning towards the dempsey, when I first saw one long ago I told myself I had to have one. The only thing that worries me is that I have seen some ugly plain looking Dempseys but I have never seen an ugly GT. I really want something that will be friendly with me. Which would you guys pick and why?

I would choose the jack dempsey. If it's possible I would get an electric blue dempsey. It's a beautiful fish and I think everyone should keep it at least once.

Then I'd go with the green terror. I found a few videos of adult ebjds but I didn't know how delicate they were. Both are beautiful cichlids but the picture of the green terror is amazing so I'd go with that.

I decided I wanted to do a single larger fish in my 60g. I have narrowed it down to the Dempsey and the Green Terror but they are both so pretty I can't decide. I wish I could have both...maybe someday. I will be starting with a juvenile. I am leaning towards the dempsey, when I first saw one long ago I told myself I had to have one. The only thing that worries me is that I have seen some ugly plain looking Dempseys but I have never seen an ugly GT. I really want something that will be friendly with me. Which would you guys pick and why?

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/IronCoffin73/media/demp_zps38c4e0e4.jpg.htmlhttp://s1219.photobucket.com/user/IronCoffin73/media/gt_zpse9db5ecd.jpg.html

I have a young breeding pair of JDs looking for a home in Southern California. The male is 6 inches with very bright colors with a red outline on his Dora's fin. The female is about 5.25 inches. Her bottom half is completely black with the top very colorful blue green. They have breed about 4x and are about 14 months. They currently are with their 5 week old fry. The pics I have do not do them justice.

Proven breeding pair in SoCal. Very brilliant colors. Male is 6" female is 5.25". Willing to trade or best offer. Free to a fellow hobbiest. Attachment 177444 Need the tank space.

I've got an adult EBJD.

For every one adult there are hundreds and hundreds of juvies that never make past the mythical three inch mark. Not the kind of odds I consider good for something in that dollar range. I've had 10 from three different breeders and all of them are residing in my compost pile currently!

Last edited:
I'd go with the Dempsey but I'm a bit biased of course. I find the males more colourful but it depends what you feed them. My 6-7" JD gets a variety of food and so he's very colourful. You will find that any time a JD gets stressed it will directly impact their colour. They can also be very shy fish so you may want to consider that he will not be out of hiding as much as a fish like an Oscar.

No experience with terrors unfortunately!

Good luck with what you decide, post pics :)

Here's mine:

Attachments

• image-3121947387.jpg
    image-3121947387.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2979194254.jpg
    image-2979194254.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 85
Green Terror - a good GT looks way better than a good JD, if your going just for colours, GT's can be jaw dropping.

I have a 63gallon tank and have both a JD and a GT in it. So you could probably do the same especially if you got two females as they are smaller than males.

If I had to choose I would go for a GT, they are more outgoing than JD's. Mine hides a lot and is not that interesting. But they are both beautiful fish.

I'd go with the Dempsey but I'm a bit biased of course. I find the males more colourful but it depends what you feed them. My 6-7" JD gets a variety of food and so he's very colourful. You will find that any time a JD gets stressed it will directly impact their colour. They can also be very shy fish so you may want to consider that he will not be out of hiding as much as a fish like an Oscar.

No experience with terrors unfortunately!

Good luck with what you decide, post pics :)

Here's mine:

Great looking fish! But I prefer the GT! Personal preference! I had one of each as only two fish in tank back in the day and they got along a mostly and fought just enough to be entertaining. Love them both tough choice!

Back
Top Bottom