Dendrochirus brachypterus (Dwarf Lionfish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

efeeley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last week I purchased a Dwarf Lion.I thought he would do well on mysis shrimp but I havent seen him feed yet.I am concerned and thinking of offering him some live food.I had volitans many years ago and fed them goldfish feeders but remember since reading goldfish are terrible for feeders due to bones.What ideal live feeders can I offer.Are fresh water minnows ok?Thanks in advance for any help!

no freshwater fish is a good choice for the lion. Try soaking the food in garlic. This is sometimes a good enticement. You may also try small frozen silversides, brine, krill or even shrimp.

I have a Volitan Lionfish that I feed frozen krill to. Soaking the food in garlic will definitely kickstart this lionfish in eating. Also you may want to get his attention by placing the krill within the jetstream of your filter to add motion to it. Some Lionfish are finicky and wont accept the food because it is not moving.

You can try Ghost Shrimp (feed the ghost shrimp something nutritional first like cyclopezee or a flake food) Get a feeder stick & place silverside, krill or shrimp on it and wiggle it, try & try again.
I have a yellow dwarf that ate right away yet my red dwarf took months to change to frozen........ Just depends on the fish....

Kaye

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom