Deresa clam (re)placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, my beautiful Deresa clam is on the substrate. Medium-grain aragonite sand. He's about 20" under a 250w MH 10,000K, though not directly under it. I'm wondering if this is a good spot for him. Do Deresa like to be on rocks, or sand? Do you think I should move him to mid-tank on some rock, or fine where he is. I want to ensure he's getting all the light he needs. Thanks all!

my fish magazine just had an article on just this !! if someone else dont respond ill look it up when i get home for ya :) want to say they like being on rocks though ?¿?

I think it'll be fine where it is although they do like to attach themselves to rock.. just be sure not to raise too much too quickly or the stress of sudden increased light intensity will harm it.

Atari: I've got some black screen material, I place it on the thin acrylic sheet (halides are too only about 6-7" from water surface...can't hang the canopy from the ceiling yet) and it decreases the light reaching the tank. I gradually, over a several days, remove the sheets and acclimate the animals to the increased light. Neat little trick I picked up from here =] I just want him to ne comfortable, and he's in the corner-front of the tank now...I dunno if he's getting enough light.

scuba_steve: Thanks! How good is that mag? I've considered getting a subscription.

dansemacabre: How thick is the acrylic you used? I am going to be doing this method as well but was not really sure how I would lay the screen across the tank.

My MH will be about 11" off the water though.

although they do like to attach themselves to rock..

Possibly when small, but deasas and squamys and gigas do not attatch a byssal filliment after a certain size, they depend on their weight to keep them steady. The only ones that are really picky about a rocky substrate are croceas and maximas, they are boring clams and bore into the rock.

I am going to be doing this method as well but was not really sure how I would lay the screen across the tank.

Just wrap the screen around some eggcrate cut to the lip of your tank, leaving room for anything hanging off the aquarium back.

At 11" off the water, you shouldn't have problems with splash at all.

The acrylic is approx. 1/8" think, clear acrylic. It is large enough only to shield the MH from water splash from the spray bar that agitates the surface. I have eggcrate across the top of my tank mainly because of my firefish (jumper!) and just to prevent other critters from jumping out (or any large and dumb snails from crawling out). So, the little acrylic pieces rest on this eggcrate right under the MH until I can raise them up. The screen material I use sits on either the acrylic sheets or the eggcrate.

You could always make a frame out of something like chopsticks or long popsicle sticks. Use wood-glue to make a square frame and twist-tie the screen to your chopstick square frame and rest it on the frame of the tank. If the plastic on the twist-tie gets in the way, it is easily removed leaving just the ultra-tiny wire, and as long as you keep it out of the water, it should work fine. Then you won't need the acrylic or the eggcrate.

To date, my firefish has never jumped at the surface; in fact, he avoid the surface at all costs. He has a rock he always darts behind...I might remove the eggcrate in the future, to allow more light through to the tank.

cool others did chime in !! but the mag is ok half fresh half salt but i swear i seen an add for a reef only mag but cant find it right now !! which i want to order that mag over aquarium fish :) if i find it ill post for ya if ya interested

Back
Top Bottom