Derimming tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 35 gallon tank that I want to derim. The best way to describe the tank is like a half hex shape being kind of like a bow front but all flat pains of glass. I'm resiliconing the tank tomorrow I was just wondering if it would be ok to derim it?

I'm more worried about it being able to hold the weight of the water I only want to remove the top trim.

I have seen people have success with larger tanks on the past but the only reason in a little bit worried is because of the 2 extra seems on the from but like I said I am going to resilicon it today, that should help strengthen it I would imagine.

I wouldn't try this with a flat back hex, but that's just a hunch.

The rim was already broken so I just pulled it off and I'm resiliconing the whole tank I figure worst case scenario I only spent 25 bucks but we will see if it works out in the end.

Yeah, it's just a hunch so don't put too much stock in what I think. LOL. Keep us posted on how it works. I really hope everything goes well.

It's going good do far I thought I bought enough aquarium silicone but I was wrong I only got enough to do the bottom getting the rest today and finishing up the sides and tomorrow comes the test.

I saw a 105 rimless tank beautiful! But it matters on the thickness of the glass

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
It's going good do far I thought I bought enough aquarium silicone but I was wrong I only got enough to do the bottom getting the rest today and finishing up the sides and tomorrow comes the test.

I'd be kinda weary of doing the silicone in different sections, from what I know, new silicon doesn't stick well to dry silicone. You might want to buy a couple large tubes, remove all the old silicone, and do it all at once. Just to be safe. I'm not positive though, but it's something you might want to look in to.

I'd take the bottom silicone off if it already dried the seal isn't as good if you do it all as one when it's all wet

Ok I'll do that but do you guys know a better silicone to use I bought the little 3oz tubes from the pet store but that stuff is so hard to use. I bought some ge 1 but it says not for aquarium use? Is there any other big tubes I could get.

Go to hardware store cheaper gm type 2 I think jus look for the nontoxic one

I can't remember the exact name of it, but I resealed a 75 gallon with GE silicone and the caulking gun. It was much easier than when I did a 55 with the little tubes. Just look on the package to make sure it does not have any anti mold/mildew agents in it. It WON'T be anything that says it's for bathrooms.

I got the ge window and door that I have seen other folks use but on the tube it says not for aquarium use. I saw on drs foster and smith they have the big tubes from marineland I was probably just gonna pick up a couple of those tubes for 10 bucks a piece.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I got the ge window and door that I have seen other folks use but on the tube it says not for aquarium use. I saw on drs foster and smith they have the big tubes from marineland I was probably just gonna pick up a couple of those tubes for 10 bucks a piece.

The marineland stuff is what I got, I'd just feel better about using that than anything else. 10 bucks seems good, one tube at my LFS was 16+... :/ might as well do it right the first time, right? :)

would sanding off the sharp edges of a derimmed tank be hazrdous? anyone tried it before?

Back
Top Bottom