Desperate for some advice on tank cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imak0ala

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all you lovely people! I really need some guidance. I’ve been trying to cycle a 20 gallon axolotl tank for around 3 FRICKIN months now. I finally thought I was getting close to being done but now I seem to be backsliding. For reference, I am doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia. This might be lengthy, please bear with me!

So! Around October 23rd I finally figured out the correct amount of ammonia I needed to reach 2 ppm: 30 mL. So, I dosed with that for the first time. It took about 4 days for the ammonia to reach 0ppm and 1 additional day for the nitrites to read zero.

At the point, I began the process dosing with the 30mL ammonia and trying to get the ammonia and nitrites to process within 24 hours.

It was going well for quite a while, with the amount of days it took for both ammonia and nitrites to reach 0 lessening, slowly but surely.

Until recently. Now, the amount of days it takes seems to be going back up! To illustrate this I will post my parameter recordings from recent tests.

11/1/20: dosed with 30mL ammonia

11/2/20: ammonia at 0.25 ppm

11/3/20: ammonia at 0 ppm, nitrites at 2 ppm

11/4/20: nitrites at 0.5 ppm

11/5/20: nitrites at 0 ppm, dosed with 30mL ammonia

11/6/20: ammonia at 1ppm, nitrites at 2-5ppm

11/7/20: ammonia at 0ppm, nitrites at 2 ppm

11/8/20: nitrites still at 2 ppm

11/9/20: nitrites at 0.5 ppm

11/10/20: nitrites at 0.25 ppm

11/11/20: nitrites at 0 ppm, dosed with 30mL ammonia

See, in the above set I feel like I was already seeing be beginning of my cycle slowing. Now, here is the result from my most recent dosing.

I didn’t test on 11/12, but the ammonia definitely didn’t reach 0ppm by then, as you can see below.

11/13/20: I did the ph just to see, it was at 7.6, the ammonia was at 0.25ppm

11/14/20: ammonia at 0 ppm, nitrites at 2-5ppm

11/17/20: nitrites at 2 ppm

11/19/20: nitrites STILL at 2ppm

I’m losing my mind, I want to introduce my axolotl into the tank, I’m really not feeling good about still having to tub them! I really hope someone will help me because this took forever to type out!

TLDR: Tank took 4-5 days to process 30mL ammonia and nitrites to 0, respectively, about a month ago. Thought I was making good progress towards my tank being cycled. Fast forward to present day, ammonia still isn’t going to 0 after 24 hours and nitrites are taking almost twice as long to go down!! What am I doing wrong?!? What should I do next? Ahhh!

I’m going insane over here! I would appreciate any help so much!

Last edited:
I can't speak for a fish-less cycle, I've never done one.

However, you've got your axolotl in another tank? If so, can you move some of that filter's media into the new aquarium filter?
I did that when I got my 2nd aquarium a couple of months ago, let the filter run overnight to circulate the cycled media, and added fish the next day.

Nah, my axie is in a tub right now, with 100% water changes daily

Back
Top Bottom