Diary of a Frog Tank (more pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

So, My Fiancee brings home a Big, Fat, Healthy Whites Tree Frog that is Blind in one eye from her work. (PetSmart) She felt so sorry for it, and she didn't want to leave it there. He is doing very well and looks as if he has been blind for quite a long time. The reitna is all scrambled, but no foggyness or anything that looks gross and infected. and he blinks and reacts to water sprays like normal.

And of course it is to big for my tiny little tank I have the other frogs in so you know what that means.....UPGRADE TIME!!!

300 Bucks Later, we have everything we need to start a big 29 H Frog terrerium. Last night we Got a tank, stand, cage top, hood top, flourecent lamp, larger heating pad, Big 'OL plastic tree root thing, Waterfall and water pump, vines, rocks, Reptile carpet, and backdrop.

Combined with the two large waterbowls we already had and the Humidifier, the old vine, (which I cut the leaves off of to make a nice leafy bottom and thew the rest away,) We have ourselves a pretty awsome frog tank now. Its sitting in the Livingroom next to the SW tank and they look pretty good together.

Here are some pics!

Attachments

• 2tanks.jpg
    2tanks.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 365
  • frog_1_251.jpg
    frog_1_251.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 102
More pics

Attachments

• bigguy1.jpg
    bigguy1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 332
  • hobbes.jpg
    hobbes.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 327
  • odehette.jpg
    odehette.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 339
and one more full tank shot.

I am still trying to find some of those real thick bendy vines to add an upper tier for the tree frogs to perch. They love being high up.

Attachments

• full-tank_804.jpg
    full-tank_804.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 341
so it has no water in it? you just spray some water in it to simulate the "jungle" experience?

wow, thats awesome!

no they have two water dishes (the leaf, and the green one under the roots.) and they have a waterfall that works wonders to keep things humid.

and just for good measure, I have a small humidifier that pumps fresh, humid air into the system. I do not think it does much, but it makes me happy.

Looks really cool. I know almost nothing when it comes to frogs and such. I was thinking about doing a terrarium at some point. Just not sure what to put in it.

I love that first close up pic ole 'one eye' - hilarious pic! He looks like a jolly fellow! :D

I think the One-eyed frog is a Girl. Hobbes (my little male tree frog in the green water dish) Has been vocalizing alot since we put the One-eyed frog in. The females are always bigger, and she is definatly big.

Perhaps there is love in the air?

The Frog has been Named Lilly. (My Fiancees doing.)

Its funny to hear the Male vocalize because its extremely loud and it scares the cats.

LOL!

Is male vocalizing so loud you can see it driving you/family mad? I've wanted frogs for some time but never considered this. I like "Lilly" -- its cute, not quite corny :)

not quite corny, but a bit cheesy.

The vocalization is brief and sporatic. I love the sound myself. it means I have happy frogs.

sometimes you will hear it three or four times a night, sometimes the frog will go months without vocalizing.

cJw said:
I love that first close up pic ole 'one eye' - hilarious pic! He looks like a jolly fellow! :D

I agree. She really is so cute. What does it take to maintain frogs? Are they messy like.. poo wise? :D

They are messy. They like pooing in water so you need to provide a large place for them to go. I clean the bowl daily, because if I don't they will just sit there stewing in their own poo...

other than that, they are pretty easy to take care of. 3 frogs will run you about 7.00 a week in crickets. and they do need cleaning. It is very important to keep their tank very clean because their skin is awfuly sensitive. I lost several frogs to poor maintance. Other than that, It is about as expensive to setup as a fresh water tank. and about the same amount of maintance. humidity is also important, I have just started to use the self contained waterfall and it works great. I had a HUGE waterfall before and it was beautiful, and the frogs loved it, but it kept things way to humid and that may have contributed to the un-sanitary conditions of the tank.

with any reptile or amphibian, they do not move around alot during the day. so be prepared for alot of boring non-activity. but if you love frogs (as me and my girl do) then you will love these guys. otherwisee, I say pass them by. I would not recomend them for the casual reptile and amphibian keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom