Diatom Problems, looking for feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tteitgen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I live in an area by lake michigan, were the ground is nothing but sand which causes our groundwater to have a high level of silica in it that the diatoms just love and take over my 55 gal tank. Currently I am running two canister filter with one of them running a poly reactor which I was using coralife silica remover. It was doing a pretty good job, would last for around three water changes. Unforunately I can no longer find this product and had to switch to a different product which is expensive and only last for two water changes.
What I was wondering is, could I add clorine to my change water and then add a de-clorinator to the water after a period of time and then add this to my tank. Would this not elimate the diatoms. Looking for feedback, and please don't recommend otto's. How much clorine should I add to effectively kill the diatoms

RO/DI water system prolly would be a good purchase for you. Purifies the water. Less chemicals the best IMO.

Where are you? I'm in the south suburbs of Chicago and we get Lake Michigan water. I don't have diatom issues.

You could fill a container with your tap water, let the diatoms do their thing, then use the water for your PWCs after the diatoms have burned out.

Back
Top Bottom