Diatoms! gross!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm afraid it'll choke out my plants. It's covered my Anubias and covering a lot in my tank. Should I decrease light hours

I'm afraid it'll choke out my plants. It's covered my Anubias and covering a lot in my tank. Should I decrease light hours

I have it now in my newly planted tank. I have lights on for 6 hours a day. I added some Nerite snails. Try that. How long are your lights in btw?

I know otto cats will devour that stuff. I had a pretty big outbreak in my old 10 gallon planted and one otto took care of it in 2 days.

Only run your hours 6 hours and that will help alot. If the tank isn't planted you can run some phosphate remover in the tank as it also removes silicates which is what the diatoms use. Otherwise a couple nerite snails will help keep diatoms cleaned up. You can also gently rub the infested leaves between your fingers to remove diatoms. Yes they will come back but at least they won't build up as thick.

Only run your hours 6 hours and that will help alot. If the tank isn't planted you can run some phosphate remover in the tank as it also removes silicates which is what the diatoms use. Otherwise a couple nerite snails will help keep diatoms cleaned up. You can also gently rub the infested leaves between your fingers to remove diatoms. Yes they will come back but at least they won't build up as thick.

^^^^^ pretty much this ^^^^^^

I got Nerite snails and love those little guys.

I probably overdid it but that's kinda me... I have a 27 gallon and I ended up with 6.

Well thanks everybody I think that about does it for my question. Appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom