diatoms in a re-established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok - so I HATE diatoms and I want to mentally prepare myself just in case ....
I broke down my 10G to get rid of the BGA (nasty stuff !) and to relocate my bettas to individual tanks. So .......... should I expect to get diatoms again as if this were a new tank ?
Specs: 10G, everything was washed, bleached and rinsed like crazy. New substrate (Ecocomplete). Lots of stem plants - about 16 stems in total of arachanis, wisteria, and hornwort. 2x13W twisted compact flourescents.

The substrate is where I believe most diatoms blooms originate from especially when you use river gravel or quartz sand. I have never used eco-complete, but my guess is yes, you'll get them, but it's not going to go on forever.

diatoms

I feel your pain, Joannde! Don't like that stuff either, It has made an appearance in a 15 we just set up with sand, so I knew it was coming. Still, knowing it will go away, rather see that than the pelt algae, brush algae, hair algae, pea soup water .......... I honestly don't mind the soft spot algae anymore. Just a quick swipe once a week takes care of what the otos can't eat. The fat little things can't eat all of it. lol

Just take a deep breath and repeat, 'it is only temporary'. Good luck with the new setup. Here's hoping someone comes up with puffers at the last minute!!!!!!

Thanks JeffreyL - you're right, it does beat the heck out of algae - esp BGA, that stuff is awful !
I did get the puffers yesterday - Petsmart had them ! I got 4, 1 died in the bag and I just found another that died overnight. Since I got them on shipping day they had a double load of stress the poor little guys. I'll be replacing them later today (the store only got 6 in so they should have 2 left assuming they survived and nobody else has bought them yet).
The other two are really neat. They're exploring the tank. I just dropped a few pond snails in there for them; in fact they're hovering right near them but don't seem interested in eating them at the moment. I LOVE the way their eyes move - for little 1/2" fish they look pretty intelligent with their eyes moving around like that.

Hey joannde, how big do those get?? My petsmart had them today too!
They were TIIIINY, I had to do a double-take to even notice them in that little tank.
The tag reccomnded 1+ gal, so I'm assuming they stay pretty small?

Drawf puffers max out at about 1.5 inches, but they are territorial and "messy" feeders, requiring live food. The general recommendation is that each DP be given 2 - 3 gallons of water so 4 is pretty much the max for a 10 gallon tank. They also can't be housed with anything except otos (usually) or shrimp (sometimes) so they need a species tank. But they're really neat - I'm really enjoying them already even tho at this point they're teeny weeny at at bit less than 1/2" each.

diatom algae isnt neccessarily that bad. its really easy to just wipe off. (forgot my algae vocab) but the hard green kind is annoying, so is hair algae.

The diatoms just make everything look so DIRTY - I hate them. And they're not so easy to wipe off leaves in a heavily planted tank LOL

I get them every time I put something against the walls of the tank and stop the circulation. I had them a month ago just form putting a cave in for BN. Once I moved it away from the sides, the BN ate them and they went away.

The diatoms just make everything look so DIRTY - I hate them
I agree Joannde. They are common in new tanks though...even reestablished tanks. I am battling diatoms in my cichlid tank even though I moved an established filter over and didn't have to cycle the tank. It is slowly going away though. I just scrub weekly when I do water changes.

It sounds like you have good lighting and lots of plants though, so I would be surprised if you get diatoms.

Back
Top Bottom