Diatoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco23 said:
Neons, red eye tetra, danios, Otos.

They may be hiding, mine do all the time and once in a while I'll see one skittering up the tank wall. My Cardinal Tetras tried to check out one GS when I first put them in, it got boxed in the nose and now they steer clean of the little guys lol.

Danios aren't shrimp safe. Not even adults. They're more agressive than tetras and will pick at even adults, but won't eat them.

Crepe said:
Danios aren't shrimp safe. Not even adults. They're more agressive than tetras and will pick at even adults, but won't eat them.

With the size of my shrimp...they're not even neon tetra safe.

How about amano's if the RCS don't work out? I need something to keep the gravel clean. I keep going back and forth with the idea of panda corys. I know my tank is not near overstocked, but at feeding time it feels like it is with all the fish flying around everywhere. I'm nervous about adding too many more fish since it looks like I have so many.

Just for anyone reading this...Otos are AWESOME! They are freaking going to town on the diatoms. The glass is 100% clean and half are working on the plants while the others are going from stone to stone (gravel substrate) turning them from brown back to white. I can not explain how fantastic these little guys are.

I told my buddy that they're like that little robot in WALL-E that's constantly roaming around mopping up dirt. I can not recommend them highly enough if you have diatoms.

Oh, and all the shrimp are still MIA / KIA. Maybe a few will turn up in a while and surprise me.

How about amano's if the RCS don't work out? I need something to keep the gravel clean. I keep going back and forth with the idea of panda corys. I know my tank is not near overstocked, but at feeding time it feels like it is with all the fish flying around everywhere. I'm nervous about adding too many more fish since it looks like I have so many.

Amanos are the best algae eating shrimp out there...

At the lfs today I picked up a phosphate absorbing filter pad. It claims to have phosphate absorbing resins. Didn't say anything about removing silicates, but I'm thinking it won't hurt. Any reason I shouldn't try it?

I made sure I didn't buy one that also absorbs ammo, cause I don't want to starve my bacteria.

LFS for you, shoes for her! Let me know how the phosphate pads work. I haven't had any algae or diatoms yet. But the panda corys are on watch.

Deckape said:
LFS for you, shoes for her! Let me know how the phosphate pads work. I haven't had any algae or diatoms yet. But the panda corys are on watch.

Not only did I pick up shoes for the lady and a filter pad...but I got a beautiful male Bolivian ram. He's acclimating right now :)

Put up a portrait of him, when you can. I can't find Otos. Gotta hunt them down.

Deckape said:
Put up a portrait of him, when you can. I can't find Otos. Gotta hunt them down.

I don't have a QT (which I know is a big no-no) but the reason I picked up the ram is because he's had them over a month and I've never seen such colorful ones. They were labeled as GBR, but I'm 99% sure there Bolivians. Usually they don't look colorful at the lfs cause they're stressed, but maybe since they've been in there long they're comfortable and colored up. 5 minute countdown until he goes free range.

Deckape said:
No never looked at those... I will though

The German Blue Rams are absolutely beautiful but a bit more delicate. They also like the temp a little too high and the ph a little to low for my tank. The Bolivians are much more hardy though. Look em up.

eco23 said:
The German Blue Rams are absolutely beautiful but a bit more delicate. They also like the temp a little too high and the ph a little to low for my tank. The Bolivians are much more hardy though. Look em up.

How many did you get? They're cichlids....will the devour you other fish????

Deckape said:
How many did you get? They're cichlids....will the devour you other fish????

I just got a solo male. They're dwarf cichlids and are as peaceful as they come. In fact, you can't keep them with anything semi aggressive because they'll bully the ram to death.

Hard to believe though...those things look like dragons to me, lol.

Deckape said:
Cool. I am gonna see about those too

I have heard that they've either got to be solo or in the proper male to female ratio. A solo one is fine, but if a male and female spawn they can get territorial. Also, 2 males will fight if there's only 1 female. So, either solo...1 male and 2 females, or a group of the same sex.

Back
Top Bottom