Did I screw up my DIY CO2????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, yesterday I put together my DIY CO2 system which includes a diffusor with powerhead and the CO2 comes from the yeast sugar mix in a 2 liter bottle.

This morning when I checked on it there was a pocket of air at the top of the bottle. I disturbed the bottle and all the air in the bottle left and went into the tank. So the bottle is now 100% full of water. I notice some water leaking out the top so apparently there wasn't a complete seal to start with. I unscrew the cap/hose and water comes siphoning out of the tube. I then reattach the system making sure there is a complete seal. The bottle still was 100% full of water when I left.

This is my first CO2 attempt so I have no idea what to expect. Did I screw up? Should there be a pocket of air in the bottle? How do I know when I'm producing CO2?

THANKS!

If bottle is below tank likely moving it forced back pressure/siphon of water from main tank. I would do a PWC in case the mix is in the tank. Wait a few minutes after making the mix to screw on the lid, to allow mix to cool and start producing. Consider a saftey bottle between the canister and the tank to avoid the problem in the future.

1. There should be a pocket of gas in the bottle. Don't fill it up with water (I fill just past where the label would be in my mix, fwiw).

2. You'll know you have CO2 when you see the diffuser going. After a new mix, I sometimes see some yeast floating at the top and bubbling fwiw. This eventually goes away.

You might also consider a backflow prevention device like a check-valve. They only cost about $3 and will keep your tank from flowing back into the bottle although I've never used DIY CO2 and hesitate to recommend one with such a setup as I'm not sure what sort of positive pressure a DIY bottle can generate and it might hamper it. Just thought I'd throw it out as most (good) pressurized CO2 systems use them.

yeah, you can use the check valves, they work fine with DIY. I would agree with czcz, it sounds like the tank water siphoned back into your bottles. I have a check bottle in between and I had the same problem, it took a little while (overnight I think) before it was generating enough pressure to push the gas through. Since then it's been fine.

In the CO2 sticky there's a link to a guide that shows how to include an extra bottle and check valves.

So, yesterday I put together my DIY CO2 system which includes a diffusor with powerhead and the CO2 comes from the yeast sugar mix in a 2 liter bottle.

I can't really envision this set up. a pic would be best, but if you can provide a detailed description, that would be helpful also.

Diy co2 in a 2 liter bottle is designed to be no more than 3/4 filled with the yeast mixture. Unhook yours NOW, and start the mix over. you don't wnat the yeast mixture getting into your tank.

Back
Top Bottom