Did some Re-planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this is a great use of a blue background. Many people like to put thier greens against black, but the red stands out really nicely against the blue.

Looks great.

Wish I had time to work on my tank, I have so many new wonderful species to play with...

You guy are funny!! I'm LOL right now! Amano wants his tank back! Thank you all for your kind and hilarious comments, It's great to be a part of this community. You all share a hand in this tank cause if it wasn't for the advice of many of you, it wouldn't be here.

*Turns computer back on*

Glen, you are beyond humble/modest/etc. Amano has called me direct and stated that if you continue on your present course, he will have no choice but to hire you. :wink:

i was actually just browing through old amano tanks that he set up and i found one extrealy similiar to yours but i have to say that yours has more colour and looks better. i wish i remembered the link but i just cant seem to find it now!! i really want to buy takashi amano's nature aquarium world book but it is a little expensive. but worth every penny i am sure. u may just think we are being nice glen but i 100% feel that u can compete wit the other contestants in the AGA contest and i may be forced to steal your picture and all the information u have given me about your tank and enter for u if u dont :)

That tank is looking awsome. I really like the use of color. ;-)

You still have one week to enter that nice tank into the AGA contest.

Well guys, did some pretty magor work on the tank tonight. I removed all the glosso from the foreground, it's just a little to invasive for me. It was growing all over everything, and fast. I like to trim and play around with the tank, but not that much! I am trying something different, a slower grower but good foreground plant, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, or Brazilian micro sword. Supposed to stay 1 to 2" in height and spread into a nice grassy foreground in time. Tropica lists it as difficult. We'll see how it does for me. If anyone local reads this and wants to give this plant a try, the plant is still available at BA in Oakville. Also have some Ammania Senegalinsis on the way to blend in with the L palustris background. The colors should go together nicely. Gave up Ammania s. cause it does get a bit big for a 20 gallon, gonna grow it again as a bigger tank is going to happen in the near future. Should be interesting. :)

FWIW: I have no problem growing micro sword, and I'm really not that efficient a plant caretaker. Very slow growing, propigates by runners.

wow Glen.........how did i miss this thread.........awesome job scaping there man.

I love how this tank has evolved.

Ya my glosso is getting a bit heavy for my taste too.........I am thinking of taking it all up and replanting, but who knows when I'll get around to that.

When are you gonna treat us to the full tank shot with the micro sword foreground?

what in the world did u do with all the glosso!!! i saw that plant at the big als near me and thought about giving it a try. tell me how it works for u and i may go pick some up. if u still have the glosso kicking around i will gladly pay u 10 bucks plus shipping for some of it. tank looks amazing by the way. what size u planning on moving up to? this means pressurized isnt far off :) cant wait to see what u can do with a larger scape.

Thanks GlitcH, your tank inspired me to try the glosso, your tank is one of the nicest I've seen. No pics of my tank till it fills in a bit, but thanks for asking :)
Mr funk, I have a good size bag of all that glosso, gonna put some of it in my son's 10, you can have the rest. It's alot. I'll send it out to you Mon. Don't worry about cost, I'll cover it. Return the favor by giving someone else some plants when you can. :)

sweet!! glen i feel like u are giving me so much and i am giving u nothing. i will definatly share my plants with everyone once everything starts filling in. you are the best.

Mr funk, you are giving us all something. It's called your time. Posting your tanks shots and how you are progressing with your tank helps us all to learn. Your DIY posts are very helpful to others as well. We all learn from each other. Giving is not always material. :) Enjoy the plants. :)

Here is an update of the 20 gallon tonight. Few changes going on. Ludwigia palustris is out, new background happening. L. Repens rubin far left, Ammania senegalinsis center, and just planted the right back ground with Limnophilla aromatica, see how it does for me. Added a Rio 90 pump to the tank improve circulation, it helps alot. With the tank so dense with plants I was not getting that great a current low in the tank, even with running a fluval 204. I'm not sure if I like the Brazilian micro sword foreground. It's filling in slowly, think it might be a bit tall. Got to give it more time. In the shot of the Limnophilla aromatica you can see the algea on the E. tennelus and the crypt leaves. No matter what I do as far as dosing and lighting, this algea will not go away. Hoping that consistent C02 levels with pressurized will help. The plants are quite old, maybe it's just time to replace them with fresh ones, or do a good pruning of the old leaves. Learning as I go, not sure how long aquatic plants will live and look healthy, coming up to my one year planted tank anniversary! I think you need to replace old plants eventually even in a healthy tank. What do you guys think?

Learning as I go

Yeah, you have done a ton of learning and this thread obviously shows that. More on this in a minute.
not sure how long aquatic plants will live and look healthy

Interesting observation, we would need to consult with the "elders" on that one. Most of my original plants are over a year old.

coming up to my one year planted tank anniversary!

Has it been that long? Seems like just yesterday I saw you peeking around the planted tank forums. LOL! You've done a great deal in the past year, including having me consider filtering out your threads so I don't get jealous. :D

I think you need to replace old plants eventually even in a healthy tank. What do you guys think?

IMO, planted tank folks are never truly satisfied with keeping things status quo. I can't begin to recall how many times I've introduced and removed certain plant species.

*Where the heck is that thread filter?* :wink:

Looks fantastic, as usual. Your tanks look great even when they're in "transition mode"!! The Limnophila doesn't look anything like mine; I wonder if what you have is an emersed form? I do know there are some nomenclature issues with that plant, I've seen it referred to as Gratiola officinalis and another name I can't remember. I'm curious to see what it does. I love mine, gorgeous plant and not too picky.

Jchillin, you are a classy guy and are one of the reasons I hang out around here. I always look forward to reading your comments and suggestions. Thank you for your always kind words and encouragment.

Hi newfound, the L aromatica is from Tropica and is in it's emersed form. It should start to change over to it's thinner more colorful look soon. The plants are tiny, maybe a couple of inches tall, there are four small bunches in the tank. If it looks anything like yours I will be very happy! Thanks again guys, Ill keep you posted!

Yet another update! Just can't leave things alone, plants and scape were looking tired and overgrown. Replanted and re-positioned a few things. Removed the giant Crypt parva that I think is really willisii "lucens" from the left midground. It was massive and had a million runners attached going all over the place. Replaced it with H. corymbosa compact that I originally had in this tank. Also put Crypt undulata close by, just off to the left. Gets a nice reddish black in high light, also not to big. Removed and trimmed all the S. valerandi, put it back in the center midground. Trimmed the Crypt parva-willisii on the right midground hard as well as the Chain sword on the right side. Put a tiny piece of Ammania bonsai in the right front corner. Also have removed all foreground plants and have planted a few small pieces of HC back in. I like HC best of all the foreground plants I have tried so far, gonna try to grow it back from the few small pieces I have left. Still have H. micrannthemoides in the left fore-midground, tough for me to get it to thrive, it's hanging in. Put L. palustris back in the back left side, Ammania senegalinsis back center, and the L. aromatica in the back right is starting to peek through. Should be a nice mix of colours once it fills in. You can actually see the driftwood in there again!

Back
Top Bottom