Didn't do my research...catfish tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chillie308

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I thought I did enough research guess I was wrong. I have a 60 gallon tank gravel minimal decor. I had it stocked with 15 Glo tetras and 15 Glo danios and 2 golden loaches. My friend asked if I could take her pictus catfish since she killed everything else so I said yes. I planned on getting a few more since I read they do best in schools. Well.... I'm down to my last Glofish danio. I take it he's the culprit and he's about 4" long.

Brings me to my questions.... What active fish can I put in the tank with the rest of the fish that look good under coral lighting? Are fun to watch for kids? Where can I get affordable good looking decor for hiding places?

Just for recap current situation :
60 gallon freshwater
Gravel - would like to keep this way
No plants - also keep this way
12 Glofish tetras (lost a few over the past few months)
2 golden loaches (4" in size)
1 pictus catfish (4" in size)
Use plain tap water in my tank ph 7.5 no water softener

What do the golden loaches look like? Long and thin like a snake or eel with a rounded snout, or short and thin with a pointy snout, looking kinda like a shark? Depending on what kind of "golden loach" you have makes a big difference in what you can put in the tank. Either way both kinds are very social fish so they should be kept in groups of at least 5 (and in larger groups they will be MUCH more active and fun for kids!)

What do the golden loaches look like? Long and thin like a snake or eel with a rounded snout, or short and thin with a pointy snout, looking kinda like a shark? Depending on what kind of "golden loach" you have makes a big difference in what you can put in the tank. Either way both kinds are very social fish so they should be kept in groups of at least 5 (and in larger groups they will be MUCH more active and fun for kids!)

Golden dojo loach if I remember correctly here's a pic I just took .... I'm just worried they may all stay at the bottom of the tank? I'm assuming a few more of each will be fine and get along together as long as there are hiding spots neither one look to good under T15 lighting (I think that's what it is - coral lighting that make the Glofish pop)

Hmm ok. You're going to want to keep your tank around 75 degrees as dojo loaches need cooler water (75 is the max to keep them healthy).

I would add more pictus and more loaches as both like groups. Golden dojos in groups are typically much more active. In fact I know some users here whose golden dojos seem to enjoy coming to the surface to nuzzle their owner's hand.

Aside from that- rosy barbs, odessa barbs, and many species of rainbowfish come to mind as active and colorful midwater fish that would do well at cooler temperatures. Platys and mollys would be options as well.

I have it set to 72 degrees now figured was a good median for everyone to be happy ... But thanks for the recommendations gives me somewhere to start my kids really seem to like the catfish so will definantly get a few more :)

Well crap I don't have a LFS I usually order from pet solutions they are out of goldens any advice where I can find some online?

Wetspot tropical fish and aquabid are places I like online. Keep in mind that golden dojos are just a color morph of regular dojos, same species, so they'll school together if you can find regular but not golden.

Back
Top Bottom