Difference between baby pond snails/baby zebra snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, lately I've been having baby snails appear every day. I have to be picking out 3 to 4 a day. I'm under the assumption that they're pond snails because I recently added plants, but I have 2 zebra snails. I have netrite eggs literally all over the tank. I read they need brackish water to hatch. I have put aquarium salt in the tank like a few months back, but I've done plenty of water changes since (without adding more salt). I looked up pictures of baby pond snails and zebra snails and I can't honestly tell the difference. Is there a way to figure it out?

They are baby pond snails definitely. You would need marine salt to make the tank brackish, which is different from freshwater aquarium salt. Also I think (although I'm not 100% sure) that once hatched the nerite larva need to be moved to true salt water to build shells, because in the wild they get swept from brackish water out to sea. Anyway, no, not nerites.

Back
Top Bottom